Medium to low rings

frostop

I recently put together a TC Encore 300wm as a light weight medium range rig. It does shoot inside a minute.
I initially put some medium rings under a V4 scope and I had some down adjustment still left in the scope.
Last week I put some low rings on out of necessity and now the scope is bottomed out and I am an inch high at a 100 yds.
Will the scope being bottomed out damage the scope?
Should I go back to the medium rings and add a cheek riser?
I am currently shooting Hornady Factory 200ELDX, but plan on reloading either those or maybe the Federal Terminal ascent's and they may end up a little hotter which may make them hit a little higher?

What would you do?

From what I could find on the net your firearm requires a one piece base. Did you get a base with 20 MOA built in? If so I would recommend a base with no built in elevation which will put your scope closer to its center in adjustments.

Unless there is something wrong with the scope rings with one higher than the other, have no idea why the lower set has your scope bottomed out. A one piece base should have both rings at same height. Perhaps the low rings has one improperly mounted?

Regarding the use of a 20 MOA base:
"Who Needs 20 MOA? If you want to shoot at distances from 400-1000 yards, you need this Encore 20 MOA Scope Base. If you will be shooting from 25-400 yards, a standard (0 MOA) scope base would be more suitable."
taken from this site:

link: https://www.eabco.net/TC-Encore-20-MOA-Scope-Base_p_14652.html

Last edited:
Standard one piece base. Brand New Warne rings
Base has been bedded to the top of the barrel.
I think I have a plan! Just means taking it apart again!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.