High Quality Low Magnification or Medium Magnification Budget Scope?

This is not a long range hunting question but I figured I would get some excellent feedback here. I just purchased a .308 DPMS G2 Hunter that I will use for elk and deer hunting in Oregon. Depending on what unit I am able to get tags for, I can expect to shoot from 25 yards to 400 yards.

After purchasing the new rifle, Geiselle G2S trigger and other accessories, my funds for optics are limited. I currently have a 30mm tube Leupold MK 4 MR/T 1.5-5x20 illuminated scope with MK 4 Aluminum rings mounted on the rifle. The top end magnification is actually 4.5X.

Having adjustable turrets is important to me so my options are to stick with the Leupold MK 4 and make do with the low magnification or purchase a budget priced optic like the Burris 3-9x40 Fullfield E1 30mm or the Leupold 3-9 Mark AR Mod 1 Riflescopes. Both non illuminated for around $300.

What would you choose?

Scope quality is always paramount, but none of the options you list are actually that bad of a scope. I use a Burris 3-9 on one of my mid range rifles and it's been very good to me. I'd choose the best glass you have/ can afford myself, even at a bit lower mag.. Unless you are planning on going way over the 1/4 mile mark the 5x top end is enough.
Personally, I never get above mid priced options for scopes (but never go with cheap options as they usually are left wanting in quality one way or another), as considerations such as family eat up much of my income. Others here have the $$ to play with to get the best glass THEY can afford, so they go there.

BTW, welcome to LRH!

I currently have a 30mm tube Leupold MK 4 MR/T 1.5-5x20 illuminated scope with MK 4 Aluminum rings mounted on the rifle. The top end magnification is actually 4.5X.

What would you choose?

I would keep the MK 4. Thats a GREAT scope to use in the coast range and even the Cascades. It will take you to the practical limit for the 308 in your platform easily. That's a great compromise between a dark timber rifle and a medium long range rig you got there. You should be very successful with it.gun)

For hunting deer and Elk with a 308 Win. the 1.5 X 4.5 is a great combination. A 30 MM Leopold illuminated scope would be a great choice. The 30 mm tube with low power should give you a good view in low light situations. I have a 308 Win with a 1.5 X 4.5 that has served me well over the years.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.