Meat Processors near Fort Collins CO?

Dr. Vette

We will be going on an elk hunt in mid-October near Fort Collins, Colorado. On our previous trip out in 2017 we used Reliable Big Game Processing, but they retired in 2019 and closed their doors.

Does anyone have any recommendations in that area? Searching via Google doesn't show many places that process elk and also have a good reputation.

Thanks!

Unfortunately much further west than we will be hunting. Denver would be closer. We're actually a bit north of Fort Collins.

I can't help you for Fort Collins, but I've used Steve's Meat Market in Arvada for over 20 years (on the years I don't process my own at home). I did hear that things have changed (which always brings complaints from some) when Steve retired and his daughter took over a few years ago.

A couple of new hunters that we got started last fall took deer into Steve's and then shared some of the finished product with me - sausage, jerky and brats - and they were all the same fine quality I've always experienced.

I've not compared prices, as Steve's is the most conveniently located for me, but I feel like they've always been on the high end for price. Research would be required to justify or disprove that.

Good luck!
Greg

I can't help you for Fort Collins, but I've used Steve's Meat Market in Arvada for over 20 years (on the years I don't process my own at home). I did hear that things have changed (which always brings complaints from some) when Steve retired and his daughter took over a few years ago.

A couple of new hunters that we got started last fall took deer into Steve's and then shared some of the finished product with me - sausage, jerky and brats - and they were all the same fine quality I've always experienced.

I've not compared prices, as Steve's is the most conveniently located for me, but I feel like they've always been on the high end for price. Research would be required to justify or disprove that.

Good luck!
Greg
Any idea how to actually talk to someone at Steve's?
Their phone system doesn't give any options to talk to a real person and ask questions.

Reliable was great! When they closed down I started doing it myself. There are not a lot of options left outside Denver. If you're driving you might load up on coolers, bone it out and take it home. Ice aging meat works great!

You could also look north to Cheyenne Wyoming. I don't know anyone up there anymore to ask around.
If it wasn't for the CWD thing I would be tempted to take it up to Gillette WY where we know the processor.
Unfortunately we would have to completely debone it to cross state lines.

Reliable was great! When they closed down I started doing it myself. There are not a lot of options left outside Denver. If you're driving you might load up on coolers, bone it out and take it home. Ice aging meat works great!
Aging is a huge problem with processors - they don't have the room to age meat. I have a hunt in NM in mid-October. Last year I brought an elk from 34 to ABQ and it was tough as nails, including the backstraps. From now on, if I can't hang it, it is all going to be ground or sausage. I do make my own jerky however. Ate gobs of it Tuesday when I drove from CO to AZ.

Aging is a huge problem with processors - they don't have the room to age meat. I have a hunt in NM in mid-October. Last year I brought an elk from 34 to ABQ and it was tough as nails, including the backstraps. From now on, if I can't hang it, it is all going to be ground or sausage. I do make my own jerky however. Ate gobs of it Tuesday when I drove from CO to AZ.
I've killed 10 elk in the last seven years plus a couple of others that I've helped Butcher. I've had one tough animal. It was a cow that was gut shot by somebody else before I killed it.
Every other animal I've shot including a couple of mature 6 x 6 bulls have been tender.

I don't think aging them necessarily is the only way to have a tender animal. If they are cut before rigor mortise is over can cause an animal to be tough. I think a stressed animal also can tend to be tough.

Obviously age has a lot to do with it as well and with a cow elk you don't know if she's four years old or 20 years old.

I killed a bull a couple of weeks ago and did the ice aging method. I haven't had steaks from it yet but if you have a big ice chest and access to ice it is about as easy as anything I've done. I didn't worry about the meat getting wet. Time will tell if it was worth the effort but besides about $20 worth of ice it was **** easy.

I live here, and mixed reviews on the old reliable meats. I had several bad experiences with them and although they were real good people, not reliable IMO. I ended up with somebodies Italian sausage and a few other mix ups for a steep price.

I process all my own meat nowadays. If you get in a pinch, feel free to PM me. Most of my buddies who don't do it themselves, go to Cheyenne. I'm not privy on the CWD rules, but I was under the impression that you can't bring brain matter across state lines, but you can bring bone-in meat.