McMillan blank inletting

diderr

I found and bought the very a-5 stock I wanted, but the only problem is it's an unfinished blank. Where I bought it said for Kimber or Winchester actions. Does that matter since it's a flat top blank? I'm thinking 700 but might just go with a FN/ Winchester action.
Thanks.

If it is a completely un-inletted stock, meaning no ejection port/bolt inlet, action screw inlet etc, etc... then it can be inletted for your 700.

Well, I just got off the phone with McMillan about having them inlet it. The lady said it had to be inletted for Winchester. So I guess i'm stuck building off a Winchester action; which is fine. I'm still a little confused since it's a blank, but there must be some reason.
Here's what I bought:
33567t7.jpg

I wanted to know why it had to be inletted for a Winny, so I called the nice lady. She told me that some un-inletted stocks are "generic" in that they will accept any action inlet, and some are specific. The ones that are specific, have a different outside contour. Meaning that the ones designated for the Winny have a longer rear tang surface area than those designated for say the Remington.
The inner core/fiber sheets/gelcoat are the same on all the stocks.

That's news to me, as I have inletted many flat top McMillan stocks in the past, and have never had an issue. Perhaps, I had all the "generic" or the ones that were designated for the inlet that I put in...

Sounds like your stock should be inletted for the Winny or the Kimber in order to look/fit/function properly.

thanks for doing some follow up investigation. I was thinking it had something to do with the tang. but now I know that's what it is for sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.