McGowen Barrels?

Has anyone ever had or used a Mcgowen barrel? I'm wondering on the overall quality of them. I looked at one down a bore scope when i was in gunsmithing school and was very impressed.

here is my savage with a mcgowen. i'm very happy with it. all these shots were from sitting. i can usually get a smaller group from pronegun)

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone ever had or used a Mcgowen barrel? I'm wondering on the overall quality of them. I looked at one down a bore scope when i was in gunsmithing school and was very impressed.

Last time I spoke with anyone who had inquired about their barrels they only produced button rifled barrels. At some of the "sale" prices they offer it doesn't seem like they've purchased the cut rifling equipment as yet.

I have chambered 100's of them in my Sin Arms barrels. They work great, I just do all of the machining from a blank and they perform well.

I have several, they all shoot great. About .6 moa is probably about the worst, .3-.4 is about the norm that I get. I have a 28" bull with a 2" brake chambered in 300 Wby for my new long range rigm they are hard to beat for the money.

They may have good quality, can't say for sure yet. But our barrel was throated incorrectly twice and they are currently working on it for the 3rd time. We sent it back 6 weeks ago and are still waiting for a reply as to the status of the barrel. Customer service is not their top priority.

There barrels are great, but you should have had Fred from 4d reamers or Sinarms get a McGowen blank and chamber it, crown it and finish it.

looks to be my new barrel for my savage 116 300rum. just getting ready to get it going

I'm going to try one in a .416RUM soon. It's a straight 1.25" x 30" blank. I'll throat it for the 340gr Cutting Edge bullets after I see what it does with other bullets.

A friend of mine has used numerous McGowens and had some impressive shooters.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.