maybe this is the year for a suppressor

Not sure on the blasting lic helping here. But the direct thread tbac ultra just has the same brake glued, rockseted, or loctited in the can, so basically the same.
A trust does make things easier to pass things along to others, but if the suppressor is willed to your son, there is just some paperwork to transfer it to him, if there is a fee, it is small.
Form 5 transfer has no fee.

[QUOTE="Snowbird, post: 1743872, member: 87588"it looks like the more expedient way currently is to efile the f4 an hope for a <200 day wait time. does it help to pay cash in store or will i have to use check and wait for that to clear?[/QUOTE]
Pay your transfer tax with a personal check so you can assure it gets cashed. Dont rely on someone else to pay the tax and monitor that their check is cashed.
I had a customer tell me his check wasn't ever cashed but his form was approved. True or not, write your own check and watch it clear. If it doesn't clear, you know something is amiss.
Dont fret about a month or two difference between eform and paper. Put your time into determining which cans you want based on features and sound (reduction or tone). Each ear hears a can differently. Try as many cans as possible before you buy.

I've started to get a bit more serious about a hunting suppressor and think i want the TB ultra7. what i'm unsure of is if i want a direct thread or CB model. does the CB model increase the sound when compared to one without a brake? i'm assuming the CB mount will make it slightly longer than direct thread as well.

is a trust worth the extra wait time if i don't plan to share the suppressor? i do have a younger son and am thinking this would be the only reason for one but still crossing my fingers that suppressors may not be so restricted one day.

also, i work with explosives and get a background check done regularly with the ATF. will this speed up the process any or not even be in the equation?
CB or DT will be a personal preference. Do you want/need a $125 brake on every rifle? If yes, go CB. If not, go DT.

I have several cans and young kids as well. I've done the individual route on all my paperwork. If they really show an interest in the future, I'll get them a can then.

I wouldn't get your hopes up about a quicker process due to previous background checks. I've been through the process many times, and if anything the wait has increased.

If you're thinking now's the time for a can, consider 2 or 3 if you can swing it financially. For me, sharing cans between rifles is like sharing optics....it's just lame. Good luck!

used to be that a trust had the "bonus" of no background check or FP's-- now "all responsible parties" of a trust must have a BG and FP card on file. the only real advantage of a trust is that other people can use the can without you being present -- I probably would never let mine out of my sight if I was the grantor of a trust--once the beneficiaries of a trust take control of the NFA items they must file a form 5 anyway (no cost transfer)

If you are going for a lightweight rifle.Why a tbac? Lots of other really good cans out there that are a good bit lighter.

I bought my TBAC Ultra 7 for Hunting 3 years ago. At least I thought I would use it for hunting.....I like it so much I use it for everything now. I went with the CB version so that I can use it on rifles with different barrel diameters. I can use a 1/2-28 threaded brake on thin barrel 223's and then 9/16-24 on normal hunting rifles and then 5/8-24 on heavy barrel rifles. You can kind of do that with a direct thread version, but only if you have a bunch of thread adapters. Thunder beast also makes a flash hider version of their adapters, that will keep the noise level of the rifle with out the suppressor at the same level, they also keep your spotter from going blind and or deaf from the muzzle blast of a brake. I dont think you will find a lighter or better made suppressor on the market.

I like my Ultra 7 so much that i just ordered an Ultra 9. Both will be in a trust, went with the trust so that my wife and my dad can both use the suppressors without getting into trouble.

Hey, gusd, what can is lighter than the TBAC ultra series? Assuming they are equal in length.

Take a look at the Silencerco Hybrid 46. Can be a direct thread or quick attach/detach. I run on a ton of rifles, mainly 300 RUM, and pistols with absolutely no issues. For the money and versatility, it's the only can I'll ever need.

We have the strictest firearms laws in Europe so it amazes me to see how difficult it is to get a suppressor in the USA. We apply for them when licensing a new rifle and it takes 6 to 12 weeks for it to come through. Getting to the point, suppresses are very common and are usually direct thread. Many of the suppressors we use shroud the barrel so would not allow a muzzle brake to be integral with the suppressor.
It took me years to accept a suppressor but I find the advantages far outweigh any disadvantages ; more accurate , flatter trajectory , much reduced recoil and most importantly quarry are confused as to where a shot has come from when you are culling.The disadvantages are they extend the length of the gun which can be awkward in heavy brush and leaving the suppressors attached can cause chemical corrosion so I remove it religiously after shooting. So to answer your question , for what my opinion is worth, go for a direct suppressor and you might look at a trigger widener as another essential addition.

If you plan to swap it around get a direct thread. Otherwise youll have to put the same quick attach on every weapon. If its just one gun using a specific break isnt too bad. You will want to swap it around.

I stand corrected from a quick bit of research most .30 cal cans are about the same weight. It's been a couple years since I did my research on them. What I do remember is when it came to weight, some manufactures weights were with the CB and some were just the can which made weights hard to compare.
I ended up purchasing a Griffin for my .30 cal can and am quite happy It has lived up to all my expectations.And it was almost half the price of a TBAC.
Much like many others on this site I do not own multiple different brands .30 cal cans to compare it to so I could not say if it is better than any other can.
My latest research was for the purchase of a can for my .338 Lapua.
In that size can there is quite a bit of weight difference between manufactures. I went with a Crux but can't comment on how well it works because I've only given the government 10 months to do the paperwork so far and I guess thats not enough time.:rolleyes:
Not trying to change the topic of your thread, because I know what I'm going to say here usually gets a lot of comments.
I'm sure TBAC are great cans with good reviews, but it seems to me to be a supporter type following.
There are lots of great cans out there that are proven to work great with great reviews for less money.
I'm sure you wouldn't go wrong with a TBAC or almost any of the other major manufactures products.

I stand corrected from a quick bit of research most .30 cal cans are about the same weight. It's been a couple years since I did my research on them. What I do remember is when it came to weight, some manufactures weights were with the CB and some were just the can which made weights hard to compare.
I ended up purchasing a Griffin for my .30 cal can and am quite happy It has lived up to all my expectations.And it was almost half the price of a TBAC.
Much like many others on this site I do not own multiple different brands .30 cal cans to compare it to so I could not say if it is better than any other can.
My latest research was for the purchase of a can for my .338 Lapua.
In that size can there is quite a bit of weight difference between manufactures. I went with a Crux but can't comment on how well it works because I've only given the government 10 months to do the paperwork so far and I guess thats not enough time.:rolleyes:
Not trying to change the topic of your thread, because I know what I'm going to say here usually gets a lot of comments.
I'm sure TBAC are great cans with good reviews, but it seems to me to be a supporter type following.
There are lots of great cans out there that are proven to work great with great reviews for less money.
I'm sure you wouldn't go wrong with a TBAC or almost any of the other major manufactures products.

I'm still waiting. It's been 11 months

I've started to get a bit more serious about a hunting suppressor and think i want the TB ultra7. what i'm unsure of is if i want a direct thread or CB model. does the CB model increase the sound when compared to one without a brake? i'm assuming the CB mount will make it slightly longer than direct thread as well.

is a trust worth the extra wait time if i don't plan to share the suppressor? i do have a younger son and am thinking this would be the only reason for one but still crossing my fingers that suppressors may not be so restricted one day.

also, i work with explosives and get a background check done regularly with the ATF. will this speed up the process any or not even be in the equation?

I have had a CB 7 for over a couple of years and a Gemtech Tracker for over a year. Pretty similar in size and weight. At the range I can't tell a difference in sound suppression - likely there is - but I cant hear it. I bought a few brakes to move my CB 7 around - but I have never used it that way. I put it on my .308 and I loved it so much I never wanted to take it off. Now I just use my Gemtech at the range and for load development and will run the CB 7 on any other gun I decide to hunt with. I went CB because TB convinced me that you could buy the CB and then locktight (or whatever thread locker they recommend) it to the brake later, vs. buying the DT version because its hard to go back to the CB style if you changed your mind. As others have said - they just glue it together at the factory if you want the DT version. You could choose to glue in the flash hider vs. the brake - there is a little difference in weight - they told me no difference in accuracy.

Having the DT Gemtech Tracker is certainly more convenient to take off and on and go between guns. And I cant ever see me running the my gun with just the brake and then threading the suppressor on w/o re-checking the zero. I run standard to thin barrels - so I do worry about POI shift when you add 11 oz. out at the end of the barrel.

It sound like things have changed around the trust method. When I bought my last can it was easier/cheaper/faster to keep them all on a trust. Maybe its not that way anymore. The mistake I made at the time was thinking I was only ever going to buy one. I liked it so much - there ended up being a need for a few more. Don't underestimate how much more you will enjoy shooting suppressed - its hard to go back!

The other thing that convinced me to go with the CB 7 is that when I bought mine most of the matched where suppressors were allowed were won with TB suppressors. Maybe its true, maybe not, but I was led to believe they were more accurate.

With less than an ounce difference, get the CB version. being able to take the can off quickly is nice for transport, cleaning, and switching between guns. Once you get a can you will want it on everything....

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.