May have damaged my barrel...Heip Please! What about the chamber??

Re: May have damaged my barrel...Heip Please!!!

You are correct; it can hurt if you don't know what you're doing. It also can make an average shooting weapon shoot much better. I have not seen anything on the market that will dissolve powder coating. I'm sure there is something that will but will it make the rifle start to pit prematurely?

The option would be send it to someone who knows how to take care of your problem, and then give the bill to the powder coating company to pay.

Thought I would update the progress, after 2 days of soaking, after a few shots to loosen things up of course. I then used finger cots over the muzzle and filled the bore with BG industrial grade carbon-intake cleaner.
Then alot of elbow grease with GM top engine cleaner and was very pleased with the results. Alot of the coating came out, along with what appeared to be some copper as well ?? Not so sure about that. There was dark blue mix in with the powder, as if I had used a copper remover, the powder resembled heavy fouling. Soaking now for another day or so, then we'll clean and take a look at the bore. Wanted to remove it as mildly as possible and this seems to be working great.
Thank's again....GREAT ADVISE.
progress.gif

Last edited:
It must not be Cerakote because there are no known chemicals that will cut it without distroying the metal along with it.

If it was coated inside the bore is it possible they sand blasted the inside of the bore as well? If so it is going to catch a lot of fouling on the prepped metal. Aluminum oxide in your bore is certainly not a good thing. I would be looking to see the inside with a borescope before you shoot it.

It must not be Cerakote because there are no known chemicals that will cut it without distroying the metal along with it.

If it was coated inside the bore is it possible they sand blasted the inside of the bore as well? If so it is going to catch a lot of fouling on the prepped metal. Aluminum oxide in your bore is certainly not a good thing. I would be looking to see the inside with a borescope before you shoot it.

I may be wrong about this, but I believe there is a difference between powder-coating and cerakote. Solvent Klene makes a powder-coating remover
and doing so without damage to the metal. It requires soaking/immersion, I may have accomplish that by sealing the muzzle and filling the bore. Granted
it's not coming out all at once, but I see a vast improvement when looking at the bore. I have used BG products for many years to remove baked-on carbon deposits from intake manifolds, intake ports, intake valves the stuff works. I have not dealt with cerakote, I would say your right it must be great stuff,
it certainly has earned a name for itself. I will use your advise and proceed with caution, I chose a seemingly mild approach and sought advise before action, trying to be as gentle and loving with the old girl as possible. Here's hoping she'll return to her prior form and fashion. I believe she was tanked and not blasted, so I may be safe on that account.

Thanks for your help....

Last edited:
Don't get too excited about bake ons. They always come back with coating where you do not want it. Talk with the company that sprayed it and ask them which solvent or stripper softens it up. I have successfully used cold parts cleaner (the kind auto shops dip carbuetors in) and citric acid ( available at solvent suppliers) once it is softened use a bronze bore brush and clean it out, it will leave a discoloration that goes away within the first box of bullets shot through it. Some of the bake ons will even come off with acetone if cleaned within the first week after they are baked. I now make wooden corks to put in the chamber and muzzle and mask the parts I do not want coated. A painter that knows what not to coat does an excellent job.

Don't get too excited about bake ons. They always come back with coating where you do not want it. Talk with the company that sprayed it and ask them which solvent or stripper softens it up. I have successfully used cold parts cleaner (the kind auto shops dip carbuetors in) and citric acid ( available at solvent suppliers) once it is softened use a bronze bore brush and clean it out, it will leave a discoloration that goes away within the first box of bullets shot through it. Some of the bake ons will even come off with acetone if cleaned within the first week after they are baked. I now make wooden corks to put in the chamber and muzzle and mask the parts I do not want coated. A painter that knows what not to coat does an excellent job.
A++ on that Ken Snyder ,, A++!

Thank's for the help, JE, Jim See,Ken, Shortgrass and all of you great fellow sportsmen willing to share the legacy and heritage of this sport... Thank you Len, for making this site a place where generations of knowledge and understanding can be passed from one generation to the next, advancing the American Heritage and rights we all hold dear. Moving with caution, but armed now with knowledge and years of tried and true experience on my side.
Sounds like I'm running for office...lol
I know of no other way to offer thanks and gratitude except to say it, often there's alot that needs saying thats left unsaid....

Thanks again....

Last edited:
After a slow process of soaking and cleaning, the bore and chamber are finally clean. I tried a gentle approach, not wanting to damage the chamber or the bore. The BG induction cleaner did a great job, it's designed to remove carbon. Wonder how well it would work on a carbon ring in the neck area????
Waiting now on some dry weather and a chance to hit the range...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.