Max effective range for a .308

Elkmen, when it comes to the .308 listen to Michael. The .308 will take elk at ranges that you probably are not currently comfortable shooting to. Is the .308 ideal for taking tough angle shots through a lot of shoulder and bone to get to the vitals at extended ranges? Probably not. Will the .308 go through the ribs and double-lung a big bull WAY out there? Yep. Use a good bullet, develop a good load, practice a lot, and you will be head and shoulders above a very high percentage of the hunters out there. Good luck.

tjbill says
Elkmen, when it comes to the .308 listen to Michael. The .308 will take elk at ranges that you probably are not currently comfortable shooting to. Is the .308 ideal for taking tough angle shots through a lot of shoulder and bone to get to the vitals at extended ranges? Probably not. Will the .308 go through the ribs and double-lung a big bull WAY out there? Yep. Use a good bullet, develop a good load, practice a lot, and you will be head and shoulders above a very high percentage of the hunters out there. Good luck.

I was standing next to my father in 1957 when he killed his first elk with an 06. and have only missed two seasons (military service) since then. I am pretty skookum on ballastics, so I am also pretty sure that the same bullet out of a 308 win, will preform much better out of my 300 win mag.
We have the technical capabilities now to effectively kill elk at much longer ranges than my first one with a 4 power scoped, 06 in 1961. My point is and that I will stand by it, is that only 1 or 2% of the hunters should be taking shots such as you mention. That is because the rest will wound, and loose a fair number of animals, the extra energy generated by the larger cartirdges can help with this but not totally overcome a bad hit. A great portion of the hunters in the field will take a shot as you mention and then because the animal does not immediately fall, not even go follow up for blood. Many give no consideration to the distance and will fire away at any animal no matter the shot presentation, and create more wounded game, So while a highly skilled well practiced shooter/hunter my effectively and effeciently take game at extreme distances with a medium powered cartridge as the .308 most can't and should not be attempting it.

So while a highly skilled well practiced shooter/hunter my effectively and effeciently take game at extreme distances with a medium powered cartridge as the .308 most can't and should not be attempting it.

The same can be applied to the 300WM.

I guess I am agreeing with you from a different angle.

Put a 200 grain pill with the proper construction for the caliber (and keep it within its expanding velocity) behind the shoulder of an elk, and good things will happen. Be it a 300WM or 308 winnie. The 300WM however can add a couple to a few hundred yards over the 308. Though this is a 308 thread.

I am not saying 925 yards is the best range for elk for this load, just that the 200 SGK in that enviornment will expand at that range. My personal limit would be 600 yards and I would have all the confidence that this load can handle that. If circumstances were perfect, Would I stretch it to 800+? You bet. Thankfully, I have a 338 Edge for longrange elk hunting and my 308 would be at home. If all I had was my 308, I would not feel ashamed to use it either.

michael

Your point is well taken ! Its the "if" circumstances were perfect that bothers me when an assessment of a particular cartridge is evaluated. Usually circumstances are not perfect and many will go ahead and shoot anyway.

Congratulations are your success this last fall. I had 3 elk tags and a deer. Ended up with 1 elk and one deer. Have to do better this year.

Just talked to a friend tonight that told me about his son's first bull that was killed with a .308. His 7mm was not available (his other son had the rifle at the time) and all they had was the old .308. They took the bull at 560 some yards. The first 4 shots the boy shot over his back because of some confusion and then got the hold right and dumped the bull. Unfortunately I don't know what bullets they were using or barrel length. Not saying this was a good or bad thing to do, but they pulled it off.

I do not think Jeremiah Johnson worried too much about using Accubonds or having the best ballistic coefficient when he shot that nice bull elk :) My old man has asked me on many hunting trips if all these factors I take into consideration really matter or if I just enjoy getting into it. Perhaps its just old sniping habits, or just a fun hobby.

I have learned a tremendous amount from this website and the folks that post here. That is why I am here, my skills as a shooter have increased, because I have available the excellent techinical articles here and learn about "new" technology for shooting. I am now shooting out to 500 yards with enough accuracy to kill most any hoofed animal in NA. I can probably go out another couple of hundred but I am not sure that I need to and my current hardware will perhaps not even support that distance, primarily range finder and ballastic calculators. It is fascinating that we have gone so far (pun intended) in my life time. When I was a young man 500 yards was considered a stunt and probably closer to 300 in reality. Our generation of trained shooters now don't even give 500 a second thought. Its amazing !

You are right about that! As for the ballistic calculator, just go online and google "ballistic calculator." You may have to sift through a few sites but you can eventually find a free and most important, reliable program that you can enter all your dope into. You can just use that data and make your own ballistic card with excell or a word document instead of paying tons of money for one like I did years ago. I do not have that website available now, but im sure one of these guys will post a link.

You are right about that! As for the ballistic calculator, just go online and google "ballistic calculator." You may have to sift through a few sites but you can eventually find a free and most important, reliable program that you can enter all your dope into. You can just use that data and make your own ballistic card with excell or a word document instead of paying tons of money for one like I did years ago. I do not have that website available now, but im sure one of these guys will post a link.

Here's a good one...

JBM - Calculations

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.