WY Max Preference Points??

TimeOnTarget

Can someone explain to me the Max preference point system that WY has?

I keep buying a elk point each year but yet every year it seems to take one more point than i have to draw a tag??

Any insight from you Wy'ers?

This year if you have been buying PPs since they started them for nonresidents for deer, elk, and antelope you would have 6. That would put you in the running for any LE tag. If you have one less than that you might have to wait a while, but it shouldn't take too long, other than in a few of the units that have few tags and a lot of people putting in for them with max PPs. There will be some point creep, but it shouldn't be too bad in other than a few of those type areas. If you want to hunt this year, you will have to put in for a unit you can draw with the number of PPs you have or put a decent second choice down that you can draw and keep your PPs because you don't lose them unless you draw your first choice. Your other option is to just buy another PP this summer between 7/1 and 9/30 and buy a leftover tag in July when they go on sale.

http://gf.state.wy.us/downloads/pdf/TotalPreferencePointsEDA2011.pdf
Here is a link to the number of nonresidents who have points for antelope, deer and elk. According to the chart, over 4500 people have 6 points for elk, the most you could have as of this time. Granted, not everyone with points is going to apply for a hunt this year but it would seem that the odds of drawing a very desirable hunt would still be quite low. I don't have any points yet but I'm not sure I want to spend $50 a year for who knows how many years to draw a tag.

Unless a person started out the first year buying points I think you will be in the same boat as Colorado with point creep. Each year it will take more and more points to draw a tag. The only difference is that Colorado refunds your money minus ten bucks each year as opposed to fifty for Wyoming. No thanks.

There are a lot of good units for those different animals that only take a few PPs to draw. 1 PP will normally get you a General Elk tag in the Regular Draw and that's good for a lot of different units. The point creep mentioned is actually in mainly a few of the units that have few tags issued and that causes only those with max PPs to be able to draw. If you watch the stats this time of the year as the application periods open, you will be able to see the ones that have such poor odds that it makes no sense to list them on your application. On the other hand, you can also plan a year or two ahead for a particular unit depending on how many points it normally takes and what you will have accumulated for a particular year.

I see your point, Topgun 30-06. For the guy who wants to go on an average hunt I guess it is okay. For the guy who wants a chance at a real trophy hunt it is going to be just like Colorado.

Depends on what you call a trophy! I've helped friends take 3 bulls the last 3 years in a unit that takes 3-4 PPs. The big one taken in 2010 is 357 3/8" and the bow kill in 2009 is 285". The third one taken this past season will probably hit at least 320", but I can't find the photos of it. All were taken on public land where I hunt every year.

Attachments

• 2010 Trip 087.JPG
    2010 Trip 087.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 148
  • IM003252.JPG
    IM003252.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 134
Topgun 30-06 looks like you have a nice place to hunt with nice animals like that. If you ever need another friend from CA with max points for Wyoming let me know :D! Just kidding, and again nice elk!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.