looking for a good .308 bullet for elk

Is there a bullet that will perform in both 50yds to 600yds? Just wondering cause my luck if I take 2 different loads I will grab the wrong one.

Not sure if you have found a bullet yet, but if it were me, 10 yards out to 600 yards max, I would choose between either the 200 Accubond or the 200 LRX for the magnums .308 cartridges. For a 308 win or 30-06, I would want a little more velocity and go with the 180 Accubond or the 175 LRX. Choosing between the two would simply be which shot more accurately, or, whichever one was in stock.

I think the most versatile of these bullets (close or far shots) is the 200 Accubond with it's relatively higher BC. It's not as good at long range as a Berger, but up close it sure gets the job done with authority.

This year I'm running the Berger 215 in my 308 Win, it's the go to bullet for the 300 Win as well.

After taking over a dozen elk with the 215's at many distances I will say this is a great choice for a .308 and the velocity at the distances mentioned.

It is what I would be loading in a 308

Jeff

After taking over a dozen elk with the 215's at many distances I will say this is a great choice for a .308 and the velocity at the distances mentioned.

It is what I would be loading in a 308

Jeff

Very good point for a 308 win that is going to start the bullet off slower than the big 300 magnums. What kind of muzzle velocities are you getting out of your 308 win using the 215?

And even with the 300 magnums, I wonder how the 215 would perform in the 50 yard range? Maybe there were posts on it that I missed. For deer I would not hesitate. For Elk I would not hesitate to take a rib/lung shot.

Very good point for a 308 win that is going to start the bullet off slower than the big 300 magnums. What kind of muzzle velocities are you getting out of your 308 win using the 215?

And even with the 300 magnums, I wonder how the 215 would perform in the 50 yard range? Maybe there were posts on it that I missed. For deer I would not hesitate. For Elk I would not hesitate to take a rib/lung shot.

I don't speak for Jeff but I'm getting 2550'sec which doesn't should high but delivers 1000'# of energy at 1000 yards AT standard air conditions. With windage less than that of a 260 and almost the same a the 6.5-284 running 140 VLDs .

I personally would not hesitate to take a Bull at 50 yards with a 215 Berger. I say this after sticking a 1" wide tape measure in the wound channel of a diagonal path from a 215 that was 26" deep. This was fired from my 300 win with a MV of 3035 fps. impact vel about 2775. The shot was at 200 yards. Given the fact that we are talking about a .308 thread or the fact that most 300 wins are slower than mine by 100 fps. I feel we could reasonably expect similar results from a slower chambering at 50 yards.

I see these bullets and their terminal performance like this after 22 + big game kills.

There is a point close where the higher velocity impact blows the tip off and the bullet still mushrooms and still makes a complete pass through.

Then at some medium distances they expand more and do a good job on penetration but most likely will not exit an elk.

Then farther out where velocity is slowed they now are not as explosive, expand a bit less and start to exit again. Yet even at 972, 1005 and 1285 yards exited a soft antelope with 1 1/4" exits showing obvious expansion.

They may not be perfect. They may not be for everyone. But for me with 22 one shot kills and not one animal leaving the immediate area, They are working well in my book.

In a .308 with a MV of 2550 to 2600 fps I think this combination has a lot to offer. Both at closer distances and also at distances many would unrightfully count the lowly 308 out for an elk rifle.

Like Michael stated, 1000 lbs of energy at 1000 yards. Now Michael. Tell us where that 215 Hybrid load goes subsonic? And remember people, we are talking about the often under estimated 308.

The Berger 215 Hybrid have breathed new power, life and less drift into the 308, 30-06 and 300 win.

Jeff

I personally would not hesitate to take a Bull at 50 yards with a 215 Berger. I say this after sticking a 1" wide tape measure in the wound channel of a diagonal path from a 215 that was 26" deep. This was fired from my 300 win with a MV of 3035 fps. impact vel about 2775. The shot was at 200 yards. Given the fact that we are talking about a .308 thread or the fact that most 300 wins are slower than mine by 100 fps. I feel we could reasonably expect similar results from a slower chambering at 50 yards.

I see these bullets and their terminal performance like this after 22 + big game kills.

There is a point close where the higher velocity impact blows the tip off and the bullet still mushrooms and still makes a complete pass through.

Then at some medium distances they expand more and do a good job on penetration but most likely will not exit an elk.

Then farther out where velocity is slowed they now are not as explosive, expand a bit less and start to exit again. Yet even at 972, 1005 and 1285 yards exited a soft antelope with 1 1/4" exits showing obvious expansion.

They may not be perfect. They may not be for everyone. But for me with 22 one shot kills and not one animal leaving the immediate area, They are working well in my book.

In a .308 with a MV of 2550 to 2600 fps I think this combination has a lot to offer. Both at closer distances and also at distances many would unrightfully count the lowly 308 out for an elk rifle.

Like Michael stated, 1000 lbs of energy at 1000 yards. Now Michael. Tell us where that 215 Hybrid load goes subsonic? And remember people, we are talking about the often under estimated 308.

The Berger 215 Hybrid have breathed new power, life and less drift into the 308, 30-06 and 300 win.

Jeff

At sea level roughly 1425 yards for the subsonic zone which only offers less than 600'# energy but for steel or paper, that's a long ways out. Above sea level it only gets better. 5000' will get it to over 1600 yards. This is of course at 2550'sec MV. She'll deliver 1000'# at 1250 yards. Insane for a 308 win.

I'm totally pumped about the 308 and the 215 Berger for elk and here's why, I'm running them at an easy going pace of 2438 fps and my last three round group at 1030 yards measured 2.6 inches, at my normal elk hunting conditions I'll hit 1000 yards at 1580 fps with just shy of 1200 ft lbs of energy!!! I'm going transonic at 1700 yards gun)

If we look at the info Jeff has on his longest antelope shot, low impact velocity on a light animal with a good wound channel, this bodes well for the 308 on an elk in the 1000 yard range. Good enough for the girls I go out with anyway :D

The only downer one could possibly come up with IMO is trajectory but a quality range finder and good ballistics program and that's a none issue.

I read Bryan Litz whooped some tail in his first FT/R match recently using a 308 and 215's!!

I have experience with the 185 and 190 VLDs at 70 to >450 yds on deer and elk at '06 and SAUM velocities (2750-2850mv), forward ribs shots, angles close to broadside, and have had good exits every time, about 1.5" diameter. I know my experience doesn't mesh with others' reports, but with near a dozen animals killed quickly and cleanly this way, I trust these bullets at the ranges you mentioned, OP, because 600 is my outer limit too. The Bergers anchor them. I've not stopped a Berger once, even with a steeply rear quartering lung shot at maybe 15 yds on a meat buck, which turned out the lights, and though I found fragments all through the chest cavity, there was an exit hole. I know folks say these bullets disintegrate at close range, but I haven't seen it at the velocities my brother and I shoot. I have Accubonds, Interbonds, SST's, Partitions, but I have only used the softer bullets since I started hunting with Bergers. Along with the VLD's, I also like the 180 Speer, and 180 and 200 Sierra BTSP . I shoot for the ribs, prefer non-magnum velocity and recoil, and the kills are fast. If there is a blood trail, it's like a bucket sloshing. Just my experience. Take from it whatever you will.

been reading all these posts, interesting they are. from north central Idaho hunting up in high country for several years until the wolves took over, i used the old 30-06 with 165 gr grand slams. killed many elk with that gun and never took over a 200 yard shot. did not need to. always worked my way to a better shot or the next day. either lung shot them or head shot them. later years after wolves screwed up my high country hunting i hunted closer to home and used my 6.5x55 swede. so far killed everything by head shot. 140 gr federals. very accurate rifle, model 38 sporterized. now built a 6.5x300 win mag for wolve hunting in high country now that they are treated like coyotes. hunted year around. also starting a new project 6.5x55 AI with a Gem Tech suppressor. probably use it for about anything that is hairy. bottom line get comfortable with caliber,bullet,and gun. practice often and remember be yourself as to what works for you and not what everybody else says works for them. the gun is the final piece of the hunt. there is more to getting elk than a big gun and long ranges. happy hunting

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.