Mausingfield Actions-American Rifle Companies

HobieH3

Anyone got strong opinions either way? Successful builds, Customer Service stories, disappoinments?

Saw them mentioned in a couple of magazine articles recently.

Should hopefully have the Archimedes Action in hand in the next 6 weeks. Going to be the action I build my new 7mm Sherman Short Max.

Last edited:
I've had one of the original long actions for over 3 years now and I absolutely love it. It was built as a heavy target rifle in .300 win mag, operation has been flawless and it is the slickest action I own. The only downside to mine is that it is in the white and doesn't take the Magpul AICS mags but both of those have been fixed on the newer versions.

Speaking of newer versions the Mausingfield had a major overhaul this year and now it is more a hunting style action with an open top design that allows the use of BDL style floor plates or AICS Mags. Basically the Hunter version of the Mausingfield is going to be the new standard while the Archimedes is taking over as the tactical action.

https://www.americanrifle.com/shop/product/mausingfield-bolt-action-2?category=5

I've played with the Mausingfield action quite a bit and I currently have a Nucleus action.

From a design perspective I think ARC is doing a great job of thinking outside the box. Where they struggle is with proper testing before releasing their products to the market. Too many of the products that ARC puts out need updates or modifications after the initial release. The Mausingfield and Nucleus actions as well as their mags all needed some modifications to work properly if you bought early samples. They really need to do more extensive field testing before releasing their products. They could work on their customer service too. I sent an email with a question on some issues I had with the Nucleus action and got a phone call 7 weeks later.

I love the 3 lug CRF design on the Nucleus and even after moving to a heavier firing pin spring to help with light primer strikes, the bolt lift is very smooth and light for a 3 lug action. After cycling the action close to 1000 times it's very smooth and it's as good as any other action I have.

I don't think their actions are any better than other similarly priced customs, but they do offer some interesting features that other actions don't have.

Given the $$, by the time I can save up enough, they should have the bugs worked out. Sigh. Just strikes me as odd (and wasteful) that it's less expensive to buy an entire rifle just for the action than to buy an action. :/

There was a time when I thought ARC was on the way to making a really nice action, I even had a deposit on one for three years. But something happened, instead of them ending up with something really nice they ended up with an assortment of crap.

I have a 338 EDGE barrel on my Mausingfield: PERFECTION in every way. It is a heavy rifle but a great performer.

There was a time when I thought ARC was on the way to making a really nice action, I even had a deposit on one for three years. But something happened, instead of them ending up with something really nice they ended up with an assortment of crap.

I'm curious as to your opinion on this, what about them is crap?

The issues are numerous. You don't have to rely on my opinion. There is enough information out there from people that own/use them to form your own opinion.

I'm one of those people as I have a Mausingfield and a Nucleus and have had very little issues with either which is why I was curious of your reasoning.

I'm one of those people as I have a Mausingfield and a Nucleus and have had very little issues with either which is why I was curious of your reasoning.
Since you are the owner of two of them, I'm guessing you are well aware of some issues. I'm curious how you define "very little issues".

I've had none on my Mausingfield other than not working with Magpul mags, which is understandable as came out a year or two after my action. I'm aware of the light strike issue with the Nucleus, I had zero light strikes when shooting it with my 6.5 Creedmoor barrel and only a handful when shooting Frontier ammo for the AR in my .223 barrel. I think roughly 10 out of 200 or so but mine still has the original 16 pound spring in it and it has yet to lightstrike on my handloads.

Edd - from your first post, sounds like you cut bait before you actually got one, or did you in fact get one?