Mausingfield Actions-American Rifle Companies

So other than insulting the people who like the action you still haven't elaborated what is so wrong with design that you would turn down a free $1600 action? If you're going to make such a statement you should at least provide some supporting evidence as to why it doesn't work.

I have a Nucleus which I really like, and I've spent a lot of time with the Mausingfield which I like as well. I tend to agree with bigngreen about some of ARC's products though. The guys at ARC are engineers who find problems to solve even if there really aren't any problems there. I view most of the ARC products similar to the way bigngreen described them, a collection of unique designs assembled into a functional product. I don't know that they're necessarily designed as a true system though. I won't go so far as to say they're bad actions, just that I don't think they're any better than other actions in the same price point.

I like to think of the ARC actions as sort of the Rube Goldberg approach to action designs; an over engineered way to accomplish a simple task.

I have one of the originals: fine piece of work. I put a 375 RUM barrel on mine just for fun shooting in Louisiana. I trimmed the front of the rail so I could put my wrench on the barrel nut without removing the rail and suggested the to them which I see they incorporated in later issues. Great blend of Remington 700 profile for trigger and stock fits with the Mauser extractor and Springfield Ejector. Take the old proven ideas and make them new again. Would be great to see the profile of a Winchester Model 70 available AND maybe adaptation of the Ruger American "V" bedding method.

I like the Mausingfield very much, clearly a great one (it is my best rifle). My only concern with actions other than the Savage 110 and the Ruger American is a relatively clear paths for a gross overpressure to send pieces of brass and extractor back toward the shooter through the right side slot in the action. I doubt if that will ever occur unless the barrel is obstructed near the breech or the wrong powder is used: case full of Unique or Bullseye: cannot design for that!

I like the Mausingfield very much, clearly a great one (it is my best rifle). My only concern with actions other than the Savage 110 and the Ruger American is a relatively clear paths for a gross overpressure to send pieces of brass and extractor back toward the shooter through the right side slot in the action. I doubt if that will ever occur unless the barrel is obstructed near the breech or the wrong powder is used: case full of Unique or Bullseye: cannot design for that!

As a matter of fact he did test that

I now have 4 ARC actions, a Gen 1 Nucleus and an Archimedes, both short action, plus both the M5 and M7 in long actions. I have been happy with all of them though the Archimedes is the newest and will be going on it's first deer hunt on Saturday.

Based on my 3 shot group after a quick 7 round ladder test I should be set.

334109DA-D11E-48C3-9989-9FEBA4B5572D.jpeg

Also thought I should update that if anyone wants an American Rifle Company action they are doing a Black Friday sale.

318E205E-0C22-4C1F-89E6-E52FB50F5D93.jpeg

Recent Posts