Mauser Action 338 Lapua Magnum

Stoutthedog

I'm looking at getting into the long range hunting thing and am looking at a custom rifle but really don't know enough about to make a decision. The owner brought it by today and it is a complete custom job but I could not validate a few things and I am hoping some of you can help.

The first thing is the action. It is a Mauser style action stamped FN on the left side. There is no safety installed and I don't know if one can be installed. From the internet it looks like it may be a JC Higgins model 50??? but it is not marked other than the FN. I also read that this may not support the use of the 338 LM. Any thoughts?

The barrel is huge with an integral brake that may or may not be removable. He indicated that the barrel was made by Dillon although once again I could not verify this info. No iron sights. And I cannot find any info on Dillon barrels beyond pistol barrels. Thoughts?

The stock is McMillan with a double set trigger and no detachable box magazine. Can the bottom metal be changed to support a detachable magazine or are the McMillan stocks just not modifiable? No sling mounts on the stock either. Don't know who made the triggers.

My first post so be gentle.

I did read that thread in my search for info. It basically says that the action can handle the pressure but the cartridge is too large. Well, the rifle is built and feeds/ejects fine. This may be a Mauser Magnum action for all I know. I'll have to get another look at it and measure the appropriate sections.

Do the Mauser actions have an integral magazine? I did some research on the Mauser magnums and they all show the magazine and trigger guard attached to the action.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.