Magnum 700 Action's and 338 lapua?

stanley52

Ok so I would consider myself fairly new to long range marksmanship, but not a complete novice. I have an extremely nice .260 built on a trued 700 SA and Benchmark barrel. Shoots <.5 MOA if I do my part. I have found a custom rifle maker who trues 700 actions and builds some extremely fine rifles and I want to move up in caliber; however, can a 700 MA be worked to shoot a 338 lapua, and if it can, does it hold up, or do I need to go with the perverbial Stiller, Badger, Surgeon, and etc.? Thanks.

700MA ? I assume you mean LA ? It can be done, it has bean done. I have heard some folks consider the 700 enough but even they admit it's border line. I personally am not a gunsmith or an engineer. If you can move up in action to one beefed up for the extra diameter that would have advantages beyond just safety. Then again the RUM and the EDGE are easily equal to the lapua and even getting better quality brass options lately from what I hear. I can see how it is done (lapua in 700) but still do not understand why you would go to the trouble when the rum cartridges would be a strait forward setup in a 700.

I'll bet you get opinions on both sides of this. I am having a 338LM built, and in my research it seems that most consider this on the edge of what the 700 action can handle. I never found a confirmed story of one letting go...

I recommend talking with your smith about what his experience is, and what he thinks is appropriate. I ended up going with a custom action sized specifically for the 338LM...

most guys go with the .338 RUM or edge if building on a m700 (me included). If your dead set on the .338 Lapua, step up to a bigger action. If you have the m700 already, just have a RUM or Edge built and it will do the exact same thing.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts