MATCH Primer Ignorance

98s1lightning

I never used a MATCH primer, don't know anything about how they can effect your results.

Are they worth experimenting with in a sporter weight hunting rifle?

I'm thinking about my 284win SA;
if I am decided on a powder and bullet choice SHOULD I BE EXPERIMENTING WITH DIFFERENT PRIMERS TO POSSIBLY TIGHTEN UP THE GROUPS MORE?

I usually run Winchester Primers but I read a few thing on here about them being a poor choice? Idk, I never noticed an issue.

Winchester has been good to me in the event that I received defecting brass, they exchanged it for good pcs.

There must be a safety margin to back off on powder charge when changing primers or will it not effect pressure enough to worry about????

It's my understanding, at least with Federal, the only difference between regular primers and match primers is…..the "match" primers go through an additional inspection process!

Though, I have been wrong before! 🤔 memtb
I think they test lines of production and choose the "most consistent" lines.

They are all the exact same

There must be a safety margin to back off on powder charge when changing primers or will it not effect pressure enough to worry about????
You should always back it off a bit when changing any components. Usually 1-1.5 grains and work back up.
With that being said I have switched primer brands LRP for LRP (not magnum) when I knew my load was a safe margin below max and never had a issue.
I know many frown on Winchester primers but I have a few loads that prefer them.

I never used a MATCH primer, don't know anything about how they can effect your results.

if I am decided on a powder and bullet choice SHOULD I BE EXPERIMENTING WITH DIFFERENT PRIMERS TO POSSIBLY TIGHTEN UP THE GROUPS MORE?

I usually run Winchester Primers but I read a few thing on here about them being a poor choice? Idk, I never noticed an issue.

Winchester has been good to me in the event that I received defecting brass, they exchanged it for good pcs.

Attachments

• primercharts (1).pdf
    124.2 KB · Views: 55
It's my understanding, at least with Federal, the only difference between regular primers and match primers is…..the "match" primers go through an additional inspection process!

Though, I have been wrong before! 🤔 memtb
Correct. I spoke with both Federal and CCI and it comes down to the QC Process & materials. The manufacturing process does not have say one machine for "Match" and one for regular primers. They use the same machine to make the Primers. Now there is a difference in the Primer "Cup" Thickness between "AR" Primers and regular Primers. Also difference between Rifle & Pistol Primers.
Was also told that the "AR" Primers go through the same QC Process as "Match" Primers just a thicker "Cup".
Magnum & Regular Primers have different Ratings "Hotter-Colder".
There are some really informative articles on the internet about Primers. I'll try to find some that I read a few years past. Just do a search if interested.

CCI BR4s are magnums like 450s and 41s. I'm not sure about other brands.

Switching from 400s to 41s, 450s, or BR4s has given me better velocity consistency and better groups in a few cases, especially with ball powders. I haven't seen a change in precision from any other primer swap with enough rounds to mean anything.

When you're chasing the amount of precision you could potentially squeeze out of changing primers using 3, 5, or 10 shot groups is basically equivalent to random guessing. If you're not interested in shooting 25-30 rounds to test it you're better off picking the primer that's available and saving some time and components.

Just my 2c…..With stick powders I use a mag primer, ball powder, standard primer.
Which primer you choose for load development stay with that primer. I've seen fellow shooters go to mag primers to tighten up their groups only to be disappointed.