Marks on bullets after chambered.

I saw a decrease in COAL with 58 Vmax, red tips. .003. I wonder if that is from smooshing plastic tip with calipers. So I made up a 100 interlock SPBT. Didn't seem to decrease.

Also the 100 grain interlocks seemed to close easier. 105 g Amax, seemed to close hard too. Why would the red tips make a difference? It is the tip,not the shoulder.

The real difference is the design and shape of the various bullets. The lands meet the bullet at the ogive and the ogive can be in different places on different bullets.

One bullet may hit the lands at COAL 2.650 and another type bullet at COAL 2.710. Regardless though, SAAMI spec is 2.710 for max COAL. So you should be able to take any piece of ammo with that COAL or shorter and load it without the ogive being up against the lands.

Check this pics out. Sort of explains it.

Attachments

• Gear_Stoney_Point_OAL_interiorWEB.jpg
    Gear_Stoney_Point_OAL_interiorWEB.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 94
  • Ogive.jpg
    Ogive.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 99
The marks are in one spot, about 1/8 long, 1/8 from brass, little less actually. Would it be all the way around? 3 marks, around 1/6 at angle.

.125 from brass seems way to close to be from lands. That's post ogive I would think by a long ways. Maybe not but sounds odd.

My description was bad. Not 3 marks. Bunch of them at angle. Like it pushed past something. The barrel is clean. Maybe the throat has some crud?

Marks are at bottom right. Factory Hornady 58G Vmax super performance. I was seeing this with 105 Amax handloads too.

Attachments

• 58 vmax factory.jpg
    58 vmax factory.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 97
My description was bad. Not 3 marks. Bunch of them at angle. Like it pushed past something. The barrel is clean. Maybe the throat has some crud?

Marks are at bottom right. Factory Hornady 58G Vmax super performance. I was seeing this with 105 Amax handloads too.
That isn't lands. Maybe edge of loading ramp which doesn't explain issue. If throat was tight enough to leave marks you would have brass in your eyes upon firing I would think.

lightbulbIt don't get no simpler than that!lightbulb

Yes. I like this gun enough. I don't hunt just punch paper. Maybe coyote, nothing I care a lot about.

My other savage, 3 FTF,won't risk it on deer or bear. Can't ethically sell it. Shoots better, but has Leupold.

Regardless of that, do I have a concern with this gun? Should I be concerned? Something I need to clean or vernish?

Yes. I like this gun enough. I don't hunt just punch paper. Maybe coyote, nothing I care a lot about.

My other savage, 3 FTF,won't risk it on deer or bear. Can't ethically sell it. Shoots better, but has Leupold.

Regardless of that, do I have a concern with this gun? Should I be concerned? Something I need to clean or vernish?
I will buy the FTF gun and sign a waiver on it. No issue a Savage can have takes that much to fix.

The marks look nothing like lands or anything dangerous. Was the issue that the bolt closes hard? Your post is kind of hard to decipher the exact issue other than the bolt was hard to turn.

I'll take second!

My favorite 2 Savages I got the actions in some funny deals.
The 1st one the guy leaned it up against his truck and forgot it was there. He ran over it and the barrel was laying over a rut in the pasture and looked like a boomerang. I have built at least 10 different builds on it including 5 Edges that have all been lights out.
The 2nd the guy lost the bolt for it and I traded a Ruger I had traded for and he threw in a scope.
I have burned a bunch of 284 based barrels off of it. 22-284, 6-284, 6.5-284 and a straight 284 or two.

My point is not to talk about Savage issues, but how good they are anyways.

Are the marks an issue? Non savage gun didn't have them.

But if you want to talk about savages that fail to fire, what would you do? 3 ftf out of 150ish. 75 between failures. Factory and hand load. Different primers. 4lb trigger pull. Good shoulder 9n rounds. No go gauge passed. Firing pin protrusion good.

I don't believe any bolt should go through these inspections. You may like Savages, even though they are easy to fix. But I question why am I doing this?

Shouldn't be so hard.

Now the gun I started this thread about may be fine. Goes bang. Closes hard on some rounds. But it closes. Before I closed on interlocks I thought maybe strong lock up. Now I think it is a funny gun. I am just trying to find out if I should laugh or not.

Funny the FTF gun is more accurate. But I replaced the package scope. I tend to think that is it. Savages I suspect are accurate, just sloppy and iffy.

There is something strange about the marks on the bullet. Are you loading shells in the magazine and then up into chamber? (1.) It may be dragging on the ramp going into the chamber. (2) Or there is a object or burr caught in the throat of the chamber that needs to be removed and cleaned up. If the bolt closes hard on this load would point to this being the problem. Good Luck on cause and cure.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.