Marks on bullets after chambered.

Sounds like you have a couple of problems. Are you using the same case's? Are you full length sizing your case's? If you have a tight chamber and your only neck sizing that could cause the hard bolt close and are the loads hot causing the bottom of the case to bulge this too could cause the bolt to close hard. As for the marks sounds like a burr on the feed ramp.

I am just sticking them straight in, no magazine. I'll check for crud. I find it off the 100 grain interlocks close easier.

I never really noticed it closed hard until I tried to figure where the lands where with a long round. So I wouldn't say it is bad. I could also try with the stock off.

Sounds like you have a couple of problems. Are you using the same case's? Are you full length sizing your case's? If you have a tight chamber and your only neck sizing that could cause the hard bolt close and are the loads hot causing the bottom of the case to bulge this too could cause the bolt to close hard. As for the marks sounds like a burr on the feed ramp.

Factory and handloads. Same brand, Hornady.

Any suggestions for cleaning throat? I have been looking for brass bottle like cleaner or something like brush for copper plumbing fittings.

Seriously diagnosing a FTF or some really strange looking marks on a bullet with a hard to close bolt can be hard to do in person much less over the interwebs.
I wouldn't try to buy any NON GUN related stuff to clean a throat. Either plug the barrel and fill it with solvent to the chamber or run a soaked patch into the throat and let it sit.
Any brush of size to clean the throat will be too big for the barrel itself and you cant reverse directions on a brush.

Seriously diagnosing a FTF .
That is a different rifle, that was a side discussion. Should be left out of this.

I wouldn't try to buy any NON GUN related stuff to clean a throat. h.
I was wondering if there was a gun product like that, with brass bristles. Though I am not against using something that is not labeled for guns.

It is hard to get a brush around the throat.

The hard to close bolt, may just be the way this gun is. The bolt is jeweled, and is smooter then the other one they had in the box. I took the one off the shelf. Kind of annoying same model, one jeweled one not. Though the display model may have been smoother because it had be operated by customers.

I am curious to see how the interlocks that close easier shoot.

This is one of those times when a bore scope would be nice to see what is actually going on in the throat.

Lyman makes an inexpensive bore scope these days that works pretty well. They are just $200 on Amazon. A LOT better than $800 or so for a true optical one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00URUE84W/?tag=lrhmag19-20

In the end, if it is something that could be rubbed or polished out, JB Bore Paste might work.

Then again that $200 would go a long ways towards an aftermarket prefit barrel...

Has the gun been shot a lot?

Could be a.carbon ring in the.throat

Give it a.good soaking and scrubbing with brake cleaner. Best.carbon remover there is.

That is a different rifle, that was a side discussion. Should be left out of this.

I was wondering if there was a gun product like that, with brass bristles. Though I am not against using something that is not labeled for guns.

It is hard to get a brush around the throat.

The hard to close bolt, may just be the way this gun is. The bolt is jeweled, and is smooter then the other one they had in the box. I took the one off the shelf. Kind of annoying same model, one jeweled one not. Though the display model may have been smoother because it had be operated by customers.

I am curious to see how the interlocks that close easier shoot.
Does the bolt SQUEAK when closing? That can make them hard to close and is lack of lube in the part that rides against the BAS inside the bolt. About drove me crazy on a bolt I got too clean.

Does the bolt SQUEAK when closing? That can make them hard to close and is lack of lube in the part that rides against the BAS inside the bolt. About drove me crazy on a bolt I got too clean.
Can also be cocking ramps and general bolt lube and lug, action lube issue.

Shot about 70 times. Barrel cleaned, but not a good bolt cleaning. What do you lube bolts with? I recently bought SLP 1 for inside bolt. But more for rust, then a lube.

Funny though 100 grain interlock Hornady, closes easier it seems. Again not hard to close, but sure doesn't drop in. Not enough to notice when shooting.

Savages have been known for action screws touching the bolt lugs after torqueing them. You didn't say if you have had the action out of the stock or have tightened the action screws...If you have mark the side of the bolt lug with a sharpie...You will see if it is touching the front action screw...On an empty chamber additional bolt resistance might not be felt because of the floating bolt head on the savage...But with a case chambered often you will feel a difference...Even the brass size itself will cause you to feel it with one piece and not another. The extra lift on the back of the case just might be the cause of the scratches on the bullets (might be)....Easy fix with a good file. Take off one thread at a time and re-torque until no more sharpie marks are left on the bolt head...
Just a thought and maybe something to check..

Good luck,
Randy

I don't recall removing the action from the stock. I may have wiped it down at one time.

If you click on the picture of the thumb nail bullet picture it will come up about 1 inch across the bullet. The bullet is hitting something in the throat or chamber that is making the marks. That is not rifling contact in the throat. Looks like a Goober somewhere it is hitting.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.