Marking caliber on rifle Barrel

E4aker

Im looking for new ways to mark caliber/logo my barrels after I fit and chamber them. The hand stamps that I've been using, while functional, are not the most professional looking. I was curious what everyone else was using.

Thanks

The shop I work in has both a laser engraving set up and a HAAS CNC mill. Nowadays it seems as though most professional smiths have either a machine engraver or something similar. If you aren't doing work on a scale to justify the cost of these options, hand stamping can be done neatly enough to look professional with practice.
Hermes pattern engravers show up for sale occasionally and are a good option for some folks.

Laser engraving and mill engraving are popular when you have the cash and volume to warrant the expenditure. The Hermes Pattern engravers are and have been popular for decades and when procured from the used market can be economical.

Nowadays with complex and complicated logos, lots of smaller gunsmithing companies and individuals rely on Marking Methods:

https://www.markingmethods.com/store/pc/home.asp

This is usually a template taped onto the barrel where acid and electricity are used to etch the logo or company ID into the metal. GAP, SAC and a multitude of other gunsmiths use this system for their markings. It's very simple as well as safe.

My logo and cartridge information are relatively simple by design so I can use my local laser engraver for marking parts and rifles. I call ahead, make an appointment and take several barreled action in at a time. He has all my designs and sizes on file so I can go have lunch or a cup of coffee and return when he's finished. I get my bolts marked with the last few digits of the serial number also. Nice man, easy to work with and reasonably priced in my opinion.

I got a bunch of different stamps and never was happy with the way they looked so I've been using this: http://www.etch-o-matic.com. They say it'll only go a few thousandths deep but I've gotten real deep etching. There's a learning curve to get the best results. I make my own stencils on a laser printer.

Laser engraving makes for nice caliber marking. You should be able to create what you want just has to be in Vector file. We designed our file to have separate internal text box to change calibers easily. In attached picture is our personal design we use for our self built rifles.

Attachments

• IMG_10881.jpg
    IMG_10881.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 349
I realize that it's nice to know what cartridge a barrel is chambered for but I was wondering if there is a legal requirement to have a firearm marked with cartridge?

I've been using the etching method and it has worked well. Takes practice to get a nice uniform depth and clean edges.

Anyone have a reference for a stencil producer that can do logos?

I called a couple trophy shops in my town and they don't do firearms. Don't or can't I did not ask. Guess I have to find the right one as I do like laser engraving.

I know you can rig up a 3d printer with a laser but those laser's aren't powerful enough for etching. I've read that you can take metal foil and cover the barrel and use the laser to cut through the foil to create the stencil.

I mark the twist and barrel manuf. on the bottom of every barrel. Neck size too if tighter than saami spec.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.