Mark V Weight Loss?

Bullwhacker

I'm aware of many smiths that will shave significant weight off of a Rem 700 action but is anyone aware of a smith that will do similar with a Weatherby Mark V action? I'm aware the titanium Mk V is an option but I'm ready to rebarrel a stainless one I already have in order to build a mountain friendly one. Thanks

For a lighter Mark V, get a 6-lug action. ;)

What barrel are you considering? Stock?
Dad purchased a Backcountry Ti (9 lug, 300Wby), and having spent time doing the load development for it that is one incredible rifle. Light, balanced and accurate.

Getting a Peak 44 stock for your rifle (like the one on the Backcountry 2.0) should help you shed some significant weight.

For a lighter Mark V, get a 6-lug action. ;)

What barrel are you considering? Stock?
Dad purchased a Backcountry Ti (9 lug, 300Wby), and having spent time doing the load development for it that is one incredible rifle. Light, balanced and accurate.
I have a 6.5-300 built on a SS Mark V 9 lug with a McMillan carbon fiber Game Stock, 26" Proof barrel, and NX8 scope. Great rifle but weighs slightly over 10lbs. I'd like to rebarrel with a 24" barrel and shave some weight off the action. Hopefully drop it a pound or two. Aluminum bottom metal would be a few ounces I'd guess of available as well.

I have a 6.5-300 built on a SS Mark V 9 lug with a McMillan carbon fiber Game Stock, 26" Proof barrel, and NX8 scope. Great rifle but weighs slightly over 10lbs. I'd like to rebarrel with a 24" barrel and shave some weight off the action. Hopefully drop it a pound or two. Aluminum bottom metal would be a few ounces I'd guess of available as well.
If you're going for light weight, I'd use a barrel similar to what Weatherby uses on the Backcountry. If you want, they'll install one. You can go 24 or 26 inches; the 2 inches won't affect your weight enough to matter. You don't say what contour you are using now.

As noted by Bakpakr, the Peak 44 stock is very light and made for your rifle.

Leupold VX5 or 6, or a Swarovski Z5 would also lighten you up quite a bit, depending on what variable power you choose. Generally speaking there are no light Nightforce scopes.

Factory bottom metal on a Weatherby is pot metal and aluminum, so already light.

Just for reference, I built a reasonable weight mark v 300 PRC with 22" barrel and it came to 8lbs 15 oz scoped. To me, for this caliber, it was the best trade off between shoot ability and light weight. This was off of a weatherby ultralight donor action and carbonsix 22" magnum profile barrel with 29oz AG Chalk Branch stock. Scope is vx6 3-18x44 with Talleys.

You can probably drop 8 oz with the peak 44 stock and another 2 oz with a light sendero profile barrel.

One thing to consider is the mark v action, which you probably know, is strong. I have all the confidence in the world in that action. I made a hot round using 250 atip and ramshot LRT and it was way over pressure (bad mistake). The action handled it well. I was not sure what would happen in a lightweight or Ti action.

Attachments

• D68AC53B-CFC4-4CC5-A8E4-3C7B766E7C75.jpeg
    D68AC53B-CFC4-4CC5-A8E4-3C7B766E7C75.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 26
  • 11DEFDEF-5658-4D52-A75F-42937BC09209.jpeg
    11DEFDEF-5658-4D52-A75F-42937BC09209.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I would not let any smith touch my Weatherby Mark V action, That is what the Mark V is known for its extremely strong action.
My Weatherby Mark V 416

Attachments

• IMG_1536(1).jpg
    IMG_1536(1).jpg
    450.3 KB · Views: 24