Mark V possibilities

MT257

I have a Weatherby Mark V UL that is chambered in 257 Wby. I'm kicking around the idea of making it something different. I don't need to keep it in 257 as I already have another that is one of my favorites. I'm kind of mulling around a 270wby. It seems that is the only caliber I really don't have or previously had. What would you guys do in this scenario. Nothing has been set in stone or decided at this point so I'm open to suggestions.

I have a Weatherby Mark V UL that is chambered in 257 Wby. I'm kicking around the idea of making it something different. I don't need to keep it in 257 as I already have another that is one of my favorites. I'm kind of mulling around a 270wby. It seems that is the only caliber I really don't have or previously had. What would you guys do in this scenario. Nothing has been set in stone or decided at this point so I'm open to suggestions.
Go with the .270 WBY.

I've built several custom builds on Mark V actions. In fact, I'm starting a build that the late JE Custom and I collaborated on before he passed. Arguably the strongest factory actions made. Which ever you decide, know you can push it as hard as you want (within reason of course😁)

Are Mark V actions just as common for smiths to work with as other actions? I've read on some other posts that some don't want to or don't care to work on them versus other brand actions is there any truth to that?

Are Mark V actions just as common for smiths to work with as other actions? I've read on some other posts that some don't want to or don't care to work on them versus other brand actions is there any truth to that?
Yes. Weatherby has been around for along time. The smiths that don't like to work on the Mark V's have their reasons whatever they may be. It might be as simple as never working on one before.

No they are great actions—big and robust. I'm a lefty and one of the best options we had for awhile. I have a old Mark V in a 270 with a knock out piece of factory wood, a 338-378 I turned into a 338 norma—as I made it easier to shoot, and a 257 Accumark I've had since I was about 20. Mark Vs are great—just not as many after market stuff as 700 clones, and tikkas

Last edited: