Mark 5 HD 3.6X18X44 MOA

chev4x4s1975

Thinking about this scope for a build I'm doing this summer how do these track what's the glass like is it the same glass as the vx5hd or is it better???

It's one of the best hunting scopes out there.
I've put mine through a tall target tracking test and it was literally perfect up to 50 moa.
I've run it hard for over a year, it's in a class far above the vx5/vx6 line, I've had poor tracking from both.
The glass is quite a bit brighter than the vx5, and low light clarity is much better.

I'm about to buy one myself and can't wait. You get a free kestrel if purchased from a certified leupold dealer before March 15th. I just can't decide reticle. I have MOA and Mil based scopes but leaning towards the PR1 reticle.

It's one of the best hunting scopes out there.
I've put mine through a tall target tracking test and it was literally perfect up to 50 moa.
I've run it hard for over a year, it's in a class far above the vx5/vx6 line, I've had poor tracking from both.
The glass is quite a bit brighter than the vx5, and low light clarity is much better.
Which reticle do you have or would you recommend ? I'm getting one but haven't been able to look through them in person. Mostly targets out to 800 and hunting out to near same distance (mostly deer). I'll probably not do the illuminated reticle. I have IR on vx6hd and could definitely go without for my purposes and save some money. Thanks

Which reticle do you have or would you recommend ? I'm getting one but haven't been able to look through them in person. Mostly targets out to 800 and hunting out to near same distance (mostly deer). I'll probably not do the illuminated reticle. I have IR on vx6hd and could definitely go without for my purposes and save some money. Thanks
I'm an moa guy so mine are pr1 reticles, I really like it and the .2 moa center dot is awesome for super precise aiming.
I think the 3.6-18 is an awesome hunting scope, I run it on my 6lb Tikka 6.5 saum.
my 5-25 is pretty freaking huge so it's going on my match rifle and will be replaced with an AMG on my LR elk rifle.

I'm an moa guy so mine are pr1 reticles, I really like it and the .2 moa center dot is awesome for super precise aiming.
I think the 3.6-18 is an awesome hunting scope, I run it on my 6lb Tikka 6.5 saum.
my 5-25 is pretty freaking huge so it's going on my match rifle and will be replaced with an AMG on my LR elk rifle.
Thanks, needed that clarification. I was leaning toward the PR1 bc I liked the reticle and thought the dot was about perfect for my needs. Will be ordering soon for a .308 and 300 wsm build.

I had a 3.6-18 for about a year. The turrets were great. I had it on a tracking board, and it tracked 100% to 55 MOA. I had the non-illuminated PR-1 reticle, which I thought was good on all mag levels and reasonable lighting conditions. The scope is also pretty lightweight, which was nice.

There was some edge distortion, and the eyebox was relatively tight. The DOF was also relatively shallow.

Are these available in SFP or only FFP? I like my VX6HD and thought I'd try a Mark 5 next if available in SFP.

I have 2 of them and really like them! Especially the turrets. I also wish they would offer these in second focal plane. My 3.6 is the illuminated reticle and has larger subtensions than the non illuminated. I wish I would have seen that before I ordered.

Does the reticle have thin lines or are they heavier line I don't have access to see this scopes the one that is available locally that I've seen is the 5-25x56 and I think it's a thin line reticle don't really care for the thin line ones

I just ordered a 3.6-18x44 PR-1 reticle non-illuminated. I looked through one before I decided and felt I could have made a shot at 3.6 at short range and dim lighting. The low end was not as sharp of reticle as sfp but would definitely work if needed. Once I went up to 6 mag I felt I could better utilize reticle. After looking through a non IR it made my decision much easier. Not saying the IR is not great. Leupold really jacks up their price for IR vs non IR vs their competition. The difference wasn't worth it to me and my application of hunting and range work. I think the glass is good enough that it doesn't need IR. Per my eyes.

I have the mil version on my 6.5 Creedmoor Bergara and it is an awesome scope. Glass is very clear, tracks excellent, this combination is very accurate, first rifle and scope combination I have been able to shoot through the same hole at a 100 yards with certain match ammo. I think the scope is an excellent value. Mine is the non-illuminated version, I have not used the scope in early daylight or dusk illumination conditions yet, so I cannot speak to that. Also have a 20 MOA nightforce mount rail with 35 mm Vortex matched set rings on the rifle that gets me out a bit further on long range shots.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts