Marine Tex Bedding

Kmccord

I am looking at bedding my first action, I was looking at using Marine Tex Gray, but wanted to find out if the two ounce version that is 18.95 on Amazon is enough to bed a Long Action? Also, what are you using for release agent? I have heard people using One Shot, Johnson wax, I have even heard one say Pam Cooking oil. Any information you would like to share would be much appreciated.
Thanks

2 oz has been enough for me in the past.I use Johnson floor wax as a release agent.I also use either tape or clay to fill holes.Fun project.Good luck.
When you bed the action are you tightening the action screws to a specific torque or are you using something else?

Way more than enough in the little container, and I just press down on the action, hold for a minute or so, then tape to hold that pressure. Use the johnsons hard wax and polish it, I have had liquids pool between the bedding and action.

Way more than enough in the little container, and I just press down on the action, hold for a minute or so, then tape to hold that pressure. Use the johnsons hard wax and polish it, I have had liquids pool between the bedding and action.
Thank you, I was wondering about just tape or I have seen others mention surgical tubing to hold it in place.

I use the action screws with release agent. Just pull the action down with light torque to hold it in place. I also will use modeling clay in the action screw holes when first assembling the action into the wet epoxy. A million ways to do it.

I use Kiwi neutral polish and one shot. Can never be too careful. Never had any liquid pools before. I put a good thick layer of kiwi and polish it smooth and then blast it with One shot right before I put the action in. I use the gun smith T handle action screws instead of the actual guns action screws. They are alot easier to get out just in case you miss a spot with the release agents. Marine Tex is very easy to work with and gives a nice smooth bedding surface. I normally pull the action out after about hour and half depending on the ambient temp. SO far all has been well

I use Kiwi neutral polish and one shot. Can never be too careful. Never had any liquid pools before. I put a good thick layer of kiwi and polish it smooth and then blast it with One shot right before I put the action in. I use the gun smith T handle action screws instead of the actual guns action screws. They are alot easier to get out just in case you miss a spot with the release agents. Marine Tex is very easy to work with and gives a nice smooth bedding surface. I normally pull the action out after about hour and half depending on the ambient temp. SO far all has been well
You do not let it sit overnight? I did not know marine Tex would set up that quick.

I will pull it out just to make sure I didn't stick the action in the stock and then put it right back in. I will also trim and excess or overflow off that I want to trim off. The time varies but I use the left overs as a guide on when the Marine Tex is set up enough to pull the action. So far I have not pulled one too early. I just feel better knowing early into the process that I can get the action out of the stock. Made that mistake exactly one time so far.

I have seen a lot of problems with new guys Learning to bed using Wax, Kiwi, and Johnson, as there is a very serious learning curve with the wax.

Brownell sells a product called Accra Release. You decrease the action twice with brake cleaner or engine starter(best), then spray on two coats of the Accra Release. You will NEVER have an issue with epoxy getting into the wrong areas, it comes out with just a flick of a small tool. After you have pulled the action from the stock, spray the brake cleaner on the action to wash off the release agent, which is super thin.

While the Accra release costs a little, it sure makes the job idiot-proof. I always apply two light coats, and screws also.

Many bedding jobs have been ruined because guys pull the action out of the stock too quickly. In a warm house, I let mine set up for three days without touching them, and 7 is even better, depending on the thickness of the pour. Accra Release eliminates the fear that the action will be glued in the stock.

When using q tips to remove the excess, I found that guys that use both ends of the Q tip get epoxy on their hands, and then on their stocks. I use one end of the Q tip, and throw it in the trash.

As the epoxy starts to harden, you can clean out around the mag well on BDL type of stocks.
I use the Modeling Clay from Brownell which does not dry out like Play Doe.

I have seen a lot of problems with new guys Learning to bed using Wax, Kiwi, and Johnson, as there is a very serious learning curve with the wax.

This is a professional mould release aerosol. It worked without fail in a high volume professional rifle building shop using Marine Tex.

1678896422396.png

Another high volume shop used paste wax, again without fail on a dozen rifles a week. This method yields the bedding which elicits all those OOOOOOs and AAAAHs when shown on forums.

Not a great picture...but:

beddingfinal.jpg

Stress Free Pillar Bedding video:

https://richardscustomrifles.com/products/stress-free-pillar-bedding

Article by Richard:

https://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/stress-free-pillar-bedding/

Enjoy!

:)