Manners Stocks Lead Times vs. Others

aebhunter

What are people seeing these days? I'm going on 8 months, was told it would be here in early February. I understand it is a high quality product, but holy cow. Had some back and forth with them over the last few months, I get the feeling it isn't the most well oiled machine over there. Or is this just the norm for them?

aebhunter,

Tom's operation has been growing significantly for the last several years due to the quality and design of his stocks. He also has several larger commercial clients who have larger orders in at any one time. That is great for Tom but can pose problems for clients waiting to receive their stock. Also note that Tom's booth was extremely busy all 4 days of SHOT Show which usually means that they wrote a large number of orders, adding to the potential slow down temporarily.

In order to try to accommodate more manufacturing and smoother processing for everyone, Tom has bought a new building and is busy retrofitting it for his needs. This can often complicate building stocks because of the disruption. But, the better thinking is that they will show an improvement in the next short period of time.

No, this doesn't help you. As always, though, Tom welcomes phone calls and e-mails asking about potentially late projects. Sometimes, projects get sidetracked unintentionally but a quick note or call gets them back on the right track.

Regards.

aebhunter,

Tom's operation has been growing significantly for the last several years due to the quality and design of his stocks. He also has several larger commercial clients who have larger orders in at any one time. That is great for Tom but can pose problems for clients waiting to receive their stock. Also note that Tom's booth was extremely busy all 4 days of SHOT Show which usually means that they wrote a large number of orders, adding to the potential slow down temporarily.

In order to try to accommodate more manufacturing and smoother processing for everyone, Tom has bought a new building and is busy retrofitting it for his needs. This can often complicate building stocks because of the disruption. But, the better thinking is that they will show an improvement in the next short period of time.

No, this doesn't help you. As always, though, Tom welcomes phone calls and e-mails asking about potentially late projects. Sometimes, projects get sidetracked unintentionally but a quick note or call gets them back on the right track.

Regards.

I ended up speaking with Tom himself and he went above and beyond to get things going for me. Really nice guy. Sounds like they are indeed going through some growing pains and trying to do the best they can. Hopefully their new space will help them streamline things so they can keep growing and fulfilling their customers orders.

I was going to order some stocks from Manners a couple days ago but was told they are super busy and were pushing 8+ months out but get this, I was told to get my order in quick because they were running some group buys, really, can't deliver stocks in any decent time frame and are swamped with work and their doing group buys, really???:rolleyes:

bigngreen,

I was told to get my order in quick because they were running some group buys, really, can't deliver stocks in any decent time frame and are swamped with work and their doing group buys, really???:rolleyes:

Group buys are not run by the supplier but by an outside source such a Long Range Hunting.com. These group buys are often started a year or more in advance in order get as many people to sign up as possible yet give the supplier plenty of time to finish the work on time. That means that the group buys the Manners people are referring to were started at a time when they had no idea how busy they would be now, let alone be in the middle of renovating a new building for use. Crystal balls still aren't available.

Regards.

bigngreen,

Group buys are not run by the supplier but by an outside source such a Long Range Hunting.com. These group buys are often started a year or more in advance in order get as many people to sign up as possible yet give the supplier plenty of time to finish the work on time. That means that the group buys the Manners people are referring to were started at a time when they had no idea how busy they would be now, let alone be in the middle of renovating a new building for use. Crystal balls still aren't available.

Regards.

I don't know of ANY group buys that are not done without express consent and cooperation of the manufacture other wise you would not be getting a deal on a group buy right. This group buy runs every year and does not run that long, I got caught in it last time and I'll never do that again!!!

I don't know how many group buys they have going but the one on Snipers Hide is run by Manners.

Should have read this one before starting a new thread. Whoops. Anyway Ive also been waiting a long while. My full ti 6.5 and carbon barrel is done everything ready but the stock. I thought that would be the last thing I'd wait for. But I have to say good for Tom I love to see a business grow like that as long as he keeps customer service and quality it will be worth it. Growing pains happen in every business and sometimes you need to slow down a bit to get reset for the future. Sounds like he's doing it with the new building to prevent this long wait time from becoming the norm. Good for him I will happily wait because I've been in that situation before and I'm in no rush for this build.

What are people seeing these days? I'm going on 8 months, was told it would be here in early February. I understand it is a high quality product, but holy cow. Had some back and forth with them over the last few months, I get the feeling it isn't the most well oiled machine over there. Or is this just the norm for them?

I wont wait 8 months for anything! The problems with the long delays in such thins is that they sell more than they can produce. No different than with smiths...How many have you seen turn down a rebarrel job???....but they will take it and make you wait 3 months on something that THEY TELL YOU will only take them 3-4 hours!

They are other stock makers that are every bit as good and selling locations have them IN STOCK

Yep just heard back from them this week. Last time first week in jan it was in inletting was told 4-6 weeks. Now it's in the recoil pad install no time frame given this time. Still in limbo.

Sounds exactly like the the story of my stock. The time frames are rather vague, mine spent at least 3 months in the "inletting" phase. I finally got a hold of Tom and he was incredibly helpful, and I ended up getting my stock after almost 9 months. Apparently they are having a tough time keeping up with the demand, and clearly their manufacturing process can't keep up. I ordered the EH1A and it is a nice stock, but I was actually sort of underwhelmed when I got it. For the price, I thought the fit and finish would be a little nicer. The allen screw that tightens and loosens the cheekpiece was full of some type of coating and it was pretty hard to get the wrench in to adjust. There we also a few burrs and imperfections in the intletting. Nothing the smith couldn't fix, but for 800 plus dollars I would expect a "perfect" finished product. Like anything, the market will end up sorting it out. If the people who are willing to wait and pay a premium outweigh the folks who don't, they will continue to succeed. If not, some other company will fill the gap.

If I hadn't intended to do a full bedding job, I would have been unhappy with the inletting on mine. With the barreled action positioned correctly in my stock there was about a 1/16" gap at the rear of the action.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.