Manners stock needs bedding, barrel contour?

slg888

Got a call from gunsmith today and mentioned to me my new Manners stock inlet does not fit my barrel perfect and will have to build up the areas for a better fit.

I figured when you ordered a barrel and told them #3 contour, the stock would be cut real close to fit the barrel.

Gunsmith say's no big deal he will add epoxy in places to fill the gaps. Is this common ?

I purchased a Manners GAT stock for a custom .338 Remington Ultra Mag I built this past winter. The barrel was from Lilja so I sent the folks at Manners the diagrams and dimentions from the Lilja web page for the barrel I had purchased. The stock arrived and it fit perfect. Sorry yours didn't fit so good. I did the same thing when I purchased a stock form McMillian and again received a very good fitting stock.

Got a call from gunsmith today and mentioned to me my new Manners stock inlet does not fit my barrel perfect and will have to build up the areas for a better fit.

I figured when you ordered a barrel and told them #3 contour, the stock would be cut real close to fit the barrel.

Gunsmith say's no big deal he will add epoxy in places to fill the gaps. Is this common ?

Did you specify to Manners what brand the #3 contour barrel was...each brand is a little different...

Talked with Manners today, and reason gunsmith is adding epoxy to fill the gaps is due to cutting some of the shank off as I requested. He said its no big deal and is common sometimes.

I would have the gunsmith finish building the rifle, and then send it to Manners to reinlet the barrel channel to 0.050 clearance. I had to do this on a 7 STW I had built last year. The stock was inletted for a Varmint contour, but my barrel was 0.700 at muzzle. Sent it in, and Manners added material to the barrel channel and repainted the stock for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.