Manitoba Buck

BEEMAN

Not long range but I'll share a few details. Got a nice whitetail buck opening morning of Manitoba rifle season November 11th. Hunt thick timber in this area out of tree stands. Been hunting this guy for two years now with lots of trail camera pictures. Last year he was a 5x4 and this year added a lot of inches and is a 6x5 with a few stickers off the G2's. He also had these sticker points last year. Now the details. I hear a deer running north of me but it's thick! Then I hear grunting so I got the safety off and I'm ready. Out runs a doe then a 1x2 buck. Ha ha I think to myself. But then farther back to the north I hear another deee coming grunting. Ready again and out he comes but it's a really tall 3x4 that I'm going to shoot. But he comes by on a full run in pursuit of the doe and the 1x2 buck. Then he stopped but vitals were covered by two trees. But then I hear another buck coming from behind me grunting and it's the buck I've been after for two years. He runs in and as soon as he stops I touch the trigger on my 6.5x47, and it's all over. My best deer to date. He grossed 174" but only nets at 158". I just can't get a buck to net over 160". Shot quite a few that gross in the 160's. But this buck just has a nicer frame and charter compared to other deer I've shot. Pics to follow thanks to canhunter who is helping me out.

BEEMAN asked me to post the pics of his granddaddy deer. Definitely a monster! Congrats!
9EF388C7-979C-44C3-92D4-00259A37AD33.jpeg
C169107E-AF81-4CE1-8962-39CCC72E5304.jpeg
9853AA9D-68F4-4ED3-A47F-AD290415D2D9.jpeg

[QUOTE="BEEMAN] He grossed 174" but only nets at 158". I just can't get a buck to net over 160".[/QUOTE]
I know right, it's like a curse!:D:D:D

Great buck, trophy of a lifetime!

I've gone west trust me. Hunted Saskatchewan for 20 years till they implemented a draw for non resident Canadians. Now I hunt northern Alberta every year, mainly for elk. Just can't crack the 160" net!

I've gone west trust me. Hunted Saskatchewan for 20 years till they implemented a draw for non resident Canadians. Now I hunt northern Alberta every year, mainly for elk. Just can't crack the 160" net!
Net 160 is a big deer. I worry more about gross, that deer still has that much material to his horns, and in a way makes him more unique

Not long range but I'll share a few details. Got a nice whitetail buck opening morning of Manitoba rifle season November 11th. Hunt thick timber in this area out of tree stands. Been hunting this guy for two years now with lots of trail camera pictures. Last year he was a 5x4 and this year added a lot of inches and is a 6x5 with a few stickers off the G2's. He also had these sticker points last year. Now the details. I hear a deer running north of me but it's thick! Then I hear grunting so I got the safety off and I'm ready. Out runs a doe then a 1x2 buck. Ha ha I think to myself. But then farther back to the north I hear another deee coming grunting. Ready again and out he comes but it's a really tall 3x4 that I'm going to shoot. But he comes by on a full run in pursuit of the doe and the 1x2 buck. Then he stopped but vitals were covered by two trees. But then I hear another buck coming from behind me grunting and it's the buck I've been after for two years. He runs in and as soon as he stops I touch the trigger on my 6.5x47, and it's all over. My best deer to date. He grossed 174" but only nets at 158". I just can't get a buck to net over 160". Shot quite a few that gross in the 160's. But this buck just has a nicer frame and charter compared to other deer I've shot. Pics to follow thanks to canhunter who is helping me out.

Atypical bucks are the coolest, forget the deductions and enjoy the raw score. Sounds like a great day. Post pictures when you can, and congrats.

"Nets are for fish". I'm going to use that one! Great line. Thanks everyone. I hope I'm not coming across as unhappy with the score. He does have character and a nice big frame. The 160" net is just a goal I've set for myself that I just can't seem to accomplish. But hey it gives me all the more reason to head out and try again next year.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts