Mandrels

Triple BB

I've been using mandrels for a while now. I've been reloading some 300 RUM RP brass. After I've full length sized and then go to open up the necks with a .306 mandrel, I'll notice a few cases where there is definitely more resistance with the mandrel going inside the neck. Given this apparent stronger neck tension, is this something that will affect my ES. Do you guys pull these cases out. Any thoughts?

I've been using mandrels for a while now. I've been reloading some 300 RUM RP brass. After I've full length sized and then go to open up the necks with a .306 mandrel, I'll notice a few cases where there is definitely more resistance with the mandrel going inside the neck. Given this apparent stronger neck tension, is this something that will affect my ES. Do you guys pull these cases out. Any thoughts?
Have you annealed your necks? This will even up your neck hardness.

Are you lubricating the necks? If not, try Redding dry neck lube.

I'm reply #6 and totally agree with all those who replied ahead of me. My understanding of the use of the mandrel is to eliminate the "donut" on the inside of the case neck where the neck meets the shoulder caused from stretching and resizing. "If" there is a donut at this juncture it will cause the inside diameter of the case to be smaller, which will cause extra tension on the mandrel. With the use of the mandrel, when the donut is forced out that material has to go someplace, thus I turn the case necks.

After I've full length sized and then go to open up the necks with a .306 mandrel, I'll notice a few cases where there is definitely more resistance with the mandrel going inside the neck. Given this apparent stronger neck tension, is this something that will affect my ES. Do you guys pull these cases out. Any thoughts?
Yes it could affect ES/tune.
If you're FL sizing necks, here is a tip: Stop FL sizing necks.

I should've added a bit more info. I dip the necks in a small jar of Imperial Dry Lube that is refilled regularly with Mica dust. All brass is annealed after each firing with an Annie. These cases have only been fired two times. Appreciate the replies.

Recent Posts