MAGNUM ??????

cdhunt

What constitutes naming a cartridge MAGNUM? What are the requirements, not including a manufacturer advertisement? Is it based on velocity, size, bullet? Example, is a 460 weatherby a true MAGNUM or just a big thumper. Getting back to the beginning, what are the requirements, before attaching the MAGNUM nameplate?

Traditionally it was used for a round that took a certain caliber to that higher level of performance over standard rounds in the same caliber.

Such as comparing the 30-06 to the 300 Win Mag.

Since the time the term Magnum started to be used, the definition of the term has become more of a sales pitch then a designation of performance.

There are several rounds that have Magnum in their name but really are not "magnums" at all. Here are a few.

224 Wby Magnum....22-250 and 220 Swift far outshine this round in performance with top loads

222 Rem Mag.... Basically a dead ringer for todays high pressure 223 Rem load.

All the WSM's....None of them match the performance of the standard length belted magnums but they would not sell if they did not have a magnum in their name.

Most magnums that were designed 40 or even 20 years ago have been far out classed in strictly performance areas that the name magnum really does not mean anything now days.

I called my wildcat family the Allen Magnums simply because it is simple (I am kind of a simple guy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) and they shoot heavier bullets faster then any other rounds in their caliber family.

This is my definition of what a true magnum should be. This is of course only relative to the time the rounds were designed. Eventually there will be something out there that surpasses the performance of my Allen Mags so then will their titles be incorrect??

There is no set criteria for making magnum status to be honest. Just a term that represents faster, flatter, harder hitting. Weither that is true with many of these rounds is yet to be seen or simply false!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

A cartridge doesn't really have to possess any qualities to be labled a "magnum". It was just a marketing tool to sell new calibers being introduced as was the magnum belted case. The belt is meaningless now, and actually was then too. An example was the 240 weatherby magnum and the 416 rigby. THe rigby has no belt like the 240 does, but common sense would tell you which one is the more powerful cartridge.

I always thought "Magnum" came from the extended pistol rounds ie; .357 Magnum being an extended version of the .38 special and the .44 Mag an extension of the .44 special etc.
Lets not forget that a true magnum is a two bottle size "Magnum of Champagne"

Ian.

"I mean't to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way "

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.