Magneto Speed Sporter vs ProChrono

General RE LEE

I've got a Pro Chrono but setting up the tripod at the range is cumbersome and it misses shots as the sun goes down.

What about the Magnetospeed Sporter? Labradar and the Magnetospeed V3 are out of the budget.

I use a pro chrono, but then again I use it for rifle, bow, muzzleloader, and handgun. I couldn't think how you would fasten a Magnetospeed to a bow or pistol, my flint may make a mess of it and cause false readings.

I have used a Magnetospeed Sporter for the past 4 years or so. I have zero complaints about it and I can count on one hand how many errors I've had. I have put hundreds of shots over one. They're the best bang for the buck chronograph there is. They also are easy to setup and it doesn't matter what time of day, how much sun, or anything special.

I have used a Magnetospeed Sporter for the past 4 years or so. I have zero complaints about it and I can count on one hand how many errors I've had. I have put hundreds of shots over one. They're the best bang for the buck chronograph there is. They also are easy to setup and it doesn't matter what time of day, how much sun, or anything special.
Me too.

I have a Pro Chrono it works as long as the Sun is up, but I have thought about adding artificial light above the device to see if that would change it when the sun sets. Has anyone tried using artificial light to see if that would correct the problem? I do know they sell lighted sky screens for indoor use.

I have a Pro Chrono it works as long as the Sun is up, but I have thought about adding artificial light above the device to see if that would change it when the sun sets. Has anyone tried using artificial light to see if that would correct the problem? I do know they sell lighted sky screens for indoor use.

I thought about it but then you need electrical supply. At that point it really has become a pain. I'll still use my ProChrono for archery and pellet gun but I ordered the Magnetospeed today.

I've got a Pro Chrono but setting up the tripod at the range is cumbersome and it misses shots as the sun goes down.

What about the Magnetospeed Sporter? Labradar and the Magnetospeed V3 are out of the budget.
Pact had a chrono that has inflated with reflective screen for low light conditions cheaper than a Lab Radar but more than Magneto. If I had to do it over I'd go Lab radar buy once cry once

I've been using pro chrono for over 20+ years. Not sure why not getting readings. Always used screens, always set up EXACTLY 25' measured from front of bench. The distance and screens are critical for consistent acquisition of bullet through the screens. Gotta say very few shots lost if I do what is needed to record shot. I measure with tape and I know every shot is consistent from shot to shot. Optical chronographs are a PITA unless you are consistent in setup. Too close and you can have shock wave affect reading.

Life is short at best. Why limit your experiences due to budgets. Be creative in your thinking. Any chance to buddy up and split the Labradar costs?? Accessory gear like Labradar isn't like a rifle/scope. Labradar only gets used intermittently. Sharing cost gets you the best you want for the individual cost of the "settle for" option. And, sharing with buddies builds relationships and makes for good times together. Surely, you have dependable, trust worthy buddies you can split costs with and trust them to use the item as you would yourself. If not, you might want to upgrade your buddies at the same time......a Win/Win upgrade. And, Magnetospeeds are for the MacGyver types to set up, shoot twice for speed and groups, run different rifles with.....not better than the sky screen crowd.:) :) :)

Last edited: