mag primers for 243 ?

DTACs are a great bullet. I used the Moly versions in my 243AI. A 30" barrel kind of changes the equation. So I'm not sure your results will achieved with a hunting-length barrel. That said running your rifle must be a friggin blast!

I am going to go against the grain here ... I run a 6 Competition Match (a variant of a 243AI w/ 30 degree shoulder) and use H1000 exclusively under a 115 DTAC (49.4 gr. running 3,100 fps) with nominal pressure out of a 30" tube.

I also use a "magnum" primer - actually Wolf Russian (yes the shipping case has Russian writing on the box) large rifle magnum primers (truly a standard primer with a harder cup that the nominal Russian Large Rifle primer).

JeffVN

"So I'm not sure your results will achieved with a hunting-length barrel. That said running your rifle must be a friggin blast!"

Agreed. I suspect you could only find 3,000 fps and not 3,100 if you shortened the barrel down to 26."

I will say this, the rifle is a super flat shooting rig and has been very successful in our local steel varmint matches (shooting targets that are just over 1 MOA in size at known distances of 560, 730, 880, and 950 yards) regardless who shoots it.

JeffVN

A 30" barrel kind of changes the equation. So I'm not sure your results will achieved with a hunting-length barrel. That said running your rifle must be a friggin blast!

Agreed. I suspect you could only find 3,000 fps and not 3,100 if you shortened the barrel down to 26."

I will say this, the rifle is a super flat shooting rig and has been very successful in our local steel varmint matches (shooting targets that are just over 1 MOA in size at known distances of 560, 730, 880, and 950 yards) regardless who shoots it.

JeffVN

Not surprised to hear that at all. I was running DTACs at 2880 out of s 28" pipe.
I ran one match just doing hold overs/unders (my rifle was sighted at 300 yards)
targets at 50 to 850 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.