Primers for 7mm Rem Mag

7mmSendaro

I am working up loads for my 7mm RM Sendero II using 168 VLDs. The rifle is shooting consistent 1/2 MOA but I am looking for a bit more, of course!

I am currently using CCI Mag primers. Does anyone have experience using LR primers instead of LR Mag primers?

I am using RL19 and have heard that mag primers may not be necessary. Input?

I use CCI LR mag primers, 168 VLDS, with 71 grains Retumbo.

I have had great luck with them.... used to use federals, store was sold out, bought CCI's and have never changed back.

they work well for me, but I haven't used R19 either.

7mm, use the Federal 215 Match primers. You might also want to try the 210M primers and see how they work. I've used all the primers out there and the Federal Match Primers, in my opinion, are the best.

Jake

I've been reloading the 7RM since '77, I've had great loads with all types of primers, but overall the non-magnum primers have given me the most consistent performance (fewer fliers).

Don

So your saying you had better luck with standard rifle primers??

Hmm, I would have though a magnum primer would give more consistent results. The only mag primer I use is the Fed 215. Seems to work great for me.

[ QUOTE ]
So your saying you had better luck with standard rifle primers??

Hmm, I would have though a magnum primer would give more consistent results. The only mag primer I use is the Fed 215. Seems to work great for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, normally a little less velocity, but going up in powder a tad makes up for most of it. I've found better consistency in the 7RM rifles I've reloaded for (5 of them) using the standard primers. Don't get me wrong, the magnum primers are usable. I've just had better performance with the milder primers. I haven't loaded for REALLY big magnums yet. 7mm Rem mag is about the biggest I've played with. I've had tremendous success with the mild primers every time I've used them.

I used CCI mag rifle primers for quite a while, until I did some testing with standard primers (CCI,Federal & Remington). I've been using the Remington 9 1/2's for my 7RM since then.

I did a quick google search and found the following article (I'll post it here since it agrees with me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ).

http://yarchive.net/gun/ammo/primer_variance.html

Hope that helps,
Don

Don,

Thanks a lot for your insight. I was considering what to try for my next testing session, now I know.

This is a great forum /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

First, R19 sucks in my gun. Best results I've had is with R25 or H1000. Been using Fed.215 or CCI and can't see a lot of difference. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hmmmm very interesting read.

The rem 9 1/2 has a quite reputation with accuracy. They say its usually the most consistent primer because it doesn't burn to hot, to quick. Makes sense. I didn't think primers had that much to do with accuracy. I guess it just all depends on the rifle/loads to.

Federal 215 GMM are consistantly the best primers I've used in this cart.

Some think primers don't effect group size or sd. Try a few different primers on target and over a chrono and tell us what you find...

Fed 215 GMMs work outstanding in 7RM.

Good Luck

Reloader

Thanks for the input. I am going to the range tonight to do the test. I already have good data on CCI LRM. I have ten rounds loaded with Federal 215M and ten rounds loaded with Federal 210M as preliminary tests. I'll post results tomorrow.

I've never had RL19 work with before, but this gun likes it. Tested RL25, RL22, and Retumbo. RL19 was far and away superior in this gun. Guess that's what makes this sport interesting.......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I used a healthy dose of RL-19 when I worked up the original load in our Sendero 7 mag. It would shoot 1/2" at 300yds with the 162gr Hornady SPBT moly coated. I will be working up a new load for it soon and will most likly stick with what worked before, only changing up the bullet weight and dropping the moly. I tried several powders and primers but the RL-19 and 215's gave the tightest, and most consistant results by and far.

Ok, the battery in my Chrony was dead tonight so no velocities. However, Federal 215Ms shot almost identical groups to the CCI LRM. The gun REALLY didn't like the Federal 210Ms. Groups at 200 yards opened up from 1/2 MOA to 1.5MOA. Now I know.........

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.