Mad Cow Disease ?

will have to check, but I thought certain temperatures denatured the prion to the point it was not a threat. Not like I would ever consider eating meat that had CWD.
I wouldn't consider eating any of it past medium, past that it's just burnt meat and burnt meat doesn't taste good. Medium is questionable for edible in my book. Risk and reward, I feel safer eating wild game rare than anything you can buy. We all take risks, it's a risk to leave your house in the morning, it's also a risk to stay there. It doesn't matter what you do, there's a risk to do it. That said, that stuff freaks me out a little bit.....not enough to ruin a good steak though. I'll eat tofu before I eat an over cooked good steak....and I'll never eat tofu. There is plenty to worry about these days, eating good meat cooked right isn't one of them for me.
If it can be cooked out, it'll be ashes. Prions don't die, they are just a protein, I suppose once you get them hot enough that they are no longer a protein maybe you can eat them, but at this point, your meat is not meat anymore.

Sorry to hear about your friend. I was stationed in Germany during the mad cow disease phase in the early 90's and because of that I was not allowed to donate blood. Supposedly that restriction has been lifted but have yet to confirm it.

Sorry to hear about you friend health
I'm from the south eastern part of Alberta Canada and there has been thousands of cases in the last few years of CWD.. most of the zones that my wife and I hunt are mandatory head testing.. I have yet to have any of our own animal test positive for CWD but know of people's animals that have.. if your animals tests positive they do recommend that u discard the meat. They will reissue a new tag.A few years ago the wife and I went to a seminar that was put on by a biologist that was studying CWD in our area. In his seminar he referred to the meat of a harvested animal that contained CWD was safe for human consumption as long as the meat did not contain or come in contact with any spinal or brain fluid and was cooked to an internal temperature of of 165°.I can not speek from experience but we all know there are people willing to take that chance

I work with a fellow who grew up helping his dad run a slaughter house. He tells me that once a cow gets older than 18 months ( if my memory serves me correctly) that they can't cut into the spine per usfda due to mad cow disease.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.