Machined my first brake!

Dgutter

So I've been doing a little work on my stock Savage 111 .25-06 to squeeze some more accuracy out of it. Finally got some decent optics on it (Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50mm Mil-dot) and decided I'd like to try a brake. The recoil is easily manageable without it, but I had the opportunity to do some machining and I don't pass those up. So a few hours on the lathe and mill and this is what I turned out. Not my best work and a few things I would do differently if I do it again, but for the time being I'm pleased with it. It's definitely effective and definitely loud, but I was able to see my hit on a bird at 380yds after confirming zero. What do you think?
close up.JPG

after2.JPG

Well..... That's as ugly as a fat girl on a moped :D. But, looks like some good concepts, and I'll bet you had fun!

Google- roedale brake images. Your is similar, theirs has more round on main body and front and rear rounded in, smaller is a single screw type, might give you some ideas for next one:)

The Roedale is actually where I got a little bit of "inspiration". Haha and I know its a little ugly but theres just something about it I like...and no my wife is not a fat chick and no she doesn't ride a moped. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.