Lyman manual cast and smokeless data for 45-70/45-90

I relubed some of these cast bullets I've got with a modified emmerts lube, and then loaded a duplex of 7gr 4227 and 65gr of OE 2f.

Definite improvement! I still had a bit of leading but this time a small amount and mostly closer to the throat I think.

These were my first 7 shots (one of them is a fouler) at 50yd.

IMG_20210422_153255080.jpg

It opened up a bit at the end. I think this may also be a little inconsistency in my aiming prowess with iron sights.

IMG_20210422_161046650.jpg

I'm wondering if these bullets are a tad too hard even for a duplex BP load. I wouldn't think so. I wish I had a chronograph I could use with this gun!

It looks like your rifle has great potential as a cast bullet shooter.

When shooting cast lead bullets in a pistol or rifle, The first hurdle to cross is No Leading in the barrel.
Being a new rifle, Check the barrel with a bore scope after shooting and after cleaning for rough places that are catching lead. May take some fire lapping or lapping to smooth the barrel to achieve No Leading.
Bullet design Plain or Gas Check, Enough Bullet Diameter to fill the bore + .001 to .002 over size. for plain base bullets, With proper hardness, Are very important.
And last and very important a good bullet lube.

Alox based lubes, Or lubes with a Bee's Wax base seem to perform the best in rifles.

When shooting cast lead bullets in a pistol or rifle, The first hurdle to cross is No Leading in the barrel.
Being a new rifle, Check the barrel with a bore scope after shooting and after cleaning for rough places that are catching lead. May take some fire lapping or lapping to smooth the barrel to achieve No Leading.
Bullet design Plain or Gas Check, Enough Bullet Diameter to fill the bore + .001 to .002 over size. for plain base bullets, With proper hardness, Are very important.

Alox based lubes, Or lubes with a Bee's Wax base seem to perform the best in rifles.

I relubed these bullets with 50% beeswax, 40% crisco, 10% lanolin.

There is slight rough spot on one of the lands, almost like a couple inch long scratch that was there when I got it. The chamber, lands, and throat look really good otherwise. The lead is pretty well dispersed uniformly around the circumference when I do see it, but usually a bit more around the "scratch". Does firelapping increase bore diameter to where I might need a one or two thou larger bullet?

This is something I failed to mention......I guess this CRS, is worse than I thought! :)

I hand lap/polish the bore of every firearm I acquire, unless it has a match grade barrel! It worked wonders with the old, original Barnes X bullets as well as with cast bullets! memtb

This is something I failed to mention......I guess this CRS, is worse than I thought! :)

I hand lap/polish the bore of every firearm I acquire, unless it has a match grade barrel! It worked wonders with the old, original Barnes X bullets as well as with cast bullets! memtb

What do you lap with?

What do you lap with?

A tight patch, liberally covered in.......wait ........Automobile polishing compound! Lots of "elbow grease" required! It's a very, very fine abrasive, as it is designed to clean-up oxidized paint, yet give a nice shine! It would be difficult to over do the bore clean-up! memtb

A tight patch, liberally covered in.......wait ........Automobile polishing compound! Lots of "elbow grease" required! It's a very, very fine abrasive, as it is designed to clean-up oxidized paint, yet give a nice shine! It would be difficult to over do the bore clean-up! memtb

That's interesting. I've heard of all kinds of stuff, one of them being maroon colored and Gray colored 3M pads. Is that polishing compound you speak of more or less fine than JB's or flitz? I have some JB's, but I would think it would take absolutely forever to actually lap a bore with that stuff

That's interesting. I've heard of all kinds of stuff, one of them being maroon colored and Gray colored 3M pads. Is that polishing compound you speak of more or less fine than JB's or flitz? I have some JB's, but I would think it would take absolutely forever to actually lap a bore with that stuff

I can't compare, as I haven't researched them. I only know is I and a friend or two had some success with this method!

In the early '90's, a friend of mine had a new SS Remington 25-06, which shot patterns, rather than groups...using the original Barnes X Bullets. The old Barnes' appeared to be as sensitive as cast bullets to bore imperfections. I finally talked him into trying it. It certainly didn't make it a bench gun, but helped considerably. Improved his accuracy and reduced his bore fouling! In is first, and only, elk season.....he promptly went out and killed the largest bodied elk I've ever seen!

The improved groups didn't really help with the close range shot....but, certainly helped his confidence with his rifle! memtb

I can't compare, as I haven't researched them. I only know is I and a friend or two had some success with this method!

In the early '90's, a friend of mine had a new SS Remington 25-06, which shot patterns, rather than groups...using the original Barnes X Bullets. The old Barnes' appeared to be as sensitive as cast bullets to bore imperfections. I finally talked him into trying it. It certainly didn't make it a bench gun, but helped considerably. Improved his accuracy and reduced his bore fouling! In is first, and only, elk season.....he promptly went out and killed the largest bodied elk I've ever seen!

The improved groups didn't really help with the close range shot....but, certainly helped his confidence with his rifle! memtb

If you wouldn't mind sharing some info in pm, I'd be interested in the details in case I end up feeling the need to try to smooth it out. I'm not there yet though

If you wouldn't mind sharing some info in pm, I'd be interested in the details in case I end up feeling the need to try to smooth it out. I'm not there yet though

You got it....I'll pm the details! But, it'll be a pretty short, simple pm! 😉 memtb

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.