Lucky dog....

willierower

A buddy and I went out this afternoon to do a little Gray digger killing. For rifles I brought along my Model 700 VS in .243 AI and my 16" Bull barreled AR. My buddy brought along his Model 700 VS .22-250. Our goal was 200 yard plus shots at diggers. We both ended up killing 1 each. His at 210 and mine at 278. We passed on a few that were closer and 1 that was right at 400, I didnt take that shot because he was too close to a main road.

Anyways, We make our way out to a landing to glass for diggers. I grab my calls out of the truck as well as my AR. It was my buddies turn to shoot at a digger if we saw any. WE galss this unit for about 15 minutes and dont see a digger anywhere. I then decide it was time to do a little calling. I give one serious on a Primos Cat Nip. No sooner than I stopped call call mu buddy spots a dog. I dont see it right away. My buddy is trying to get his bipod ot and get set up to shoot. I then spot the yote and give him a quick squeal on the call to stop him in an open spot. My buddy says he cant find him in the scope and told me to take him. I pull the charging handle on my AR to chamber a round. I find the dog in the scope, get the cross hairs on him and squeeze the trigger. "Click" is all I get. I pull the carging handle again, find the dog sueeze again, Another click! ***!! My buddy then says he has him and just as he about to sqeeze it off the dog steps into the brush. That was the last we saw of him. He was lucky SOB

My issue with my AR was I didnt slap the magizine home and the bolt couldnt pick up the rounds. Tha mag was inserted in the magwell enough that it didnt fall out but not enough to be locked in. My buddies issue. He still had his scope cranked up to 20X from when he shot is digger.

Lessons from today. Double check everything! Always be prepared, Always wear camo ( we were in regular clothes and stuck out like sore thumbs), Expect the unexpected when it comes to western Oregon song dogs.

Hunting the west side of Oregon is pretty tough for Coyotes. When you do find them and whne you get them to come to a call you have to on it becuase of the brush we have here. But whne you do get them to play and you get a bullet in one it is very rewarding.

I can tell you exactly how many times I have not seated my AR mag just like that. Once. That is all it takes. Now, I give her a good thrust on the bottom and she seats just fine.

ON another note, where are you located, and where do you hunt the singing dogs?? I am in Klamath Falls and would like to get out and pop my savages cherry.

Wally

I can tell you exactly how many times I have not seated my AR mag just like that. Once. That is all it takes. Now, I give her a good thrust on the bottom and she seats just fine.

ON another note, where are you located, and where do you hunt the singing dogs?? I am in Klamath Falls and would like to get out and pop my savages cherry.

Wally

Im located in the Mid Willamette Valley. We hunt around the valley, the coast range, cascade foot hills and The east side of the state when I make it over there.

Im wanting to get over to the Chemult and Beaver Marsh area here soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.