One Got Lucky

Wedgy

I was out yesterday evening calling in an area that borders town so my calls for this area are usually cat, dog, and coyote vocals. The brush that holds the dogs is pretty heavy so I set up at the edge of a ~100 yard clearing with ~18" high grass, sometimes you only see the top of their heads and ears when they come in. Wind is good with just a slight on/off cross wind. I catch a glimpse of one coming to my kitten call and stop the caller as they tend to charge it or take off if they don't see anything, not giving time for a shot. When I cut the sound they usually keep coming and pause often giving me a shot. Just as he is at the last bit of brush I hear a rabbit distress for a couple seconds and say wow, I didn't think anyone else would ever call at this place. Then I realize that there was a rabbit in that last bush and finding Mr rabbit saved the coyotes life. What are the odds ??
Hopefully he will be hungry later in the week.

Last edited:
It happens more then most people realize with coyote . Even in the open country where I live a lot of coyote aren't seen that have been called , you can see the tracks they leave in the snow .

Op, try some turkey calls and some bird calls,if you can elevate your body position by 2 Or 3 feet you will see much better , use deer blinds anything to gain advantage,cheers

I was out yesterday evening calling in an area that borders town so my calls for this area are usually cat, dog, and coyote vocals. The brush that holds the dogs is pretty heavy so I set up at the edge of a ~100 yard clearing with ~18" high grass, sometimes you only see the top of their heads and ears when they come in. Wind is good with just a slight on/off cross wind. I catch a glimpse of one coming to my kitten call and stop the caller as they tend to charge it or take off if they don't see anything, not giving time for a shot. When I cut the sound they usually keep coming and pause often giving me a shot. Just as he is at the last bit of brush I hear a rabbit distress for a couple seconds and say wow, I didn't think anyone else would ever call at this place. Then I realize that there was a rabbit in that last bush and finding Mr rabbit saved the coyotes life. What are the odds ??
Hopefully he will be hungry later in the week.
Thats Funny!

Recent Posts