LRH - The Delta 5 has Landed!

YZ-80

Got my new rifle this week and decided to break it in with a crude charge ladder as I had to fire form some new Starline brass. I loaded up 4 check charges of Varget starting at 40 grains then 5 rounds each in .5 grain increments from 42.0 to 43.5 grains (168 ELD-M). Had to seat them .030 off for mag clearance. I stole the Sig-Sauer Tango 4 off my 6.5 Norma, boresighted it and headed to the range on this blustery day, which I just happened to have off. Anyway, I'm pretty pleased with the initial results but hope to tighten it up some more. Just like my Savage, the Delta 5 might like the lighter charge in the 168, but it's too early to draw any conclusions I think. Happy Friday Everybody!

1384CE46-0544-4D97-B9B1-7F040D161296.jpeg5F0B11E7-9FA5-432E-95FB-EB01FA04F351.jpeg9CB12A1D-2770-429F-89CB-35F19A9BD425.jpeg

Life is good! Hope it is a shooter, what cartridge 6.5 maybe? Waiting for a warm calm day this coming week myself.

Life is good! Hope it is a shooter, what cartridge 6.5 maybe? Waiting for a warm calm day this coming week myself.
It's a 20" .308. First thing I did when I got it home was dial the Timney down to 2.25 lbs. The action is very nice and lock time is great. Floating bolt head too. I'll get the interchangeable 6.5 CRDM barrel for it as soon as I can figure out a way to hide the purchase from "She who must be obeyed".

I was a bit disappointed with "the Company" for advertising that they were offering a 24" 7mm-08 barrel but then discontinued it 😡. I'm sure this was a business decision on their part. I'm kind of hoping they offer something like a 6 mm Creed or a PRC in the future but I figure what's not to like at this point. It's a really cool rifle.

Cheers!

-YZ

You know you don't hear it said that much now days but 308's are usually crazy accurate. I fooled with one and it was real quick to work up a load for and it shot three different bullets in two different weight's all under 1/2". It was partial to Varget and RL15 both, wasn't anything picky about it. I bet it don't take long for you to get it shooting some good groups either. Had to go find my load book, its a warm load 45.8 RL15 in lapua brass with BR2 primers and 150gr SMK bullets. Later switched to 150gr AB and it shot ragged holes as well. Now I use a lighter charge of RL15 and 165gr parition's in Starline brass. Enjoy Your Gun

Last edited:
Read about your gun, floating lug's and switch barrels are feature's I know from my savage experiences. Are you limited to just their two caliber barrels or do any other pre-fits work?

Read about your gun, floating lug's and switch barrels are feature's I know from my savage experiences. Are you limited to just their two caliber barrels or do any other pre-fits work?

Hi there. Yup the gun is limited to the proprietary barrel by Daniel Defense. In my opinion, they discontinued the 7mm-08 barrel because it's probably just too lucrative to sell 6.5 CRDM barrels! At any rate, I'm very happy with the .308 "Shortie" I have on mine for now, and I will also get the 6.5 CRDM barrel. We'll see what the market dictates but I kinda hope they do come out with some other barrel offerings.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.