What's the best 7mm for LRH?

Marine Sniper,

My current favorite receiver is the new BAT HRPIC receiver. It has an integral 20 moa rail base as well as recoil lug. Built to the similiar external specs as the Rem 700 but beefed up where its needs to be for the Lapua case. I have only used the repeater version but I am sure Bruce could make a single shot easy enough.

Other then that, The Stiller Predater X or 338TAC are good receivers for a a bit more budget minded project but they are not the receiver that the BAT is. The Nesika Model M is a great receiver but I have had some serious problems dealing with Nesika over the last 6 months so I hate to say I can not recommend them. Not because of a quality issue but service has been hard to live with.

I am using 0.880 for a BC on the 200 gr ULD RBBT. Some of my customers have used up to 0.920 but I suspect they are shooting at higher elevation then I am. Right around .9 though.

In a 30" pipe, the 7mm AM will easily top 3300 fps with the 200 gr ULD RBBT, in fact 3400 fps is not unrealistic, the problem is that the bullets prefer to be loaded to around 3250-3300fps in most rifles for best accuracy.

The 180 gr Berger is limited by bullet design more then the weight the AM will drive it to. The 7mm AM will drive this bullet weight to 3450 fps easily but I have yet to see the 180 gr Berger shoot really well much over 3300 fps so its pretty much limited to the same velocity range as the 200 gr ULD RBBT. The 175 gr SMK can take more velocity but it does not expand as well as longer ranges.

In my personal rifles I use 102.0 gr WC872 in my light rifle which gets me 3175 fps in a 26" barrel. My heavy rifle I use 105.0 gr of WC872 and get right at 3300 fps.

Powder charges can vary greatly with different powder lots so you always have to start low and work up.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.