LR shooting 7mm WSM in a Specialty Handgun--Need Advice

Ernie

SPONSOR
Working on a project for 05
Cartridge will be the 7 WSM. Barrel length will be 17-18 inches. This will be used for 1k shooting "handgun class" in Pella, IA and for LR hunting.

Assuming a 2550-2700 (guesstimated) MV will a 1-8.5 twist be enough to stabilize the 175 SMK & 180 Berger?
What about the 162 A-Max?
What has been the favorite powders for bullets in the 162-180 class range?
I'm not concerned about recoil issues as I shoot a lightweight 15.75 inch sporter barreled XP in 7.82 Patriot (mountain hunting specialty handgun).
Main questions are regarding twist and what powders have worked the best with these bullets.
Thanks for your help guys.

Ernie Bishop

XP,

A 1-9 should stabilize those bullets but I would consult the barrel maker and possibly go with a 1-8 just for a little added twist for those cold morning shoots.

Powders in teh Rl22 to Rl25, H1000 have been working well with the heavies in the 7mm WSM. Retumbo may work but I feel it is a little slow for the WSM case.

The 162 gr A-Max would be a great bullet with its reported .625 B.C., especially for use on deer size game, possible elk as well. Probably would prefer your 7.82 Pat for bull elk with heavier bullets.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks 50!
Primarily this will be for the 1k game with some LR plains animals.
Does Richard have any good 7mm ULD's that would work with a 8 or 9 twist?

Hi Ernie
I would think a 9T would work with the 180g bullets soulds like fun. See you in Iowa
Crow Mag

XP,

He makes a 169.5 gr ULD Rebated Boattail with a B.C. in the .700 range. Very nice bullet. THis is basically the same 169.5 gr ULD he made up for the 270 Allen Mag only 0.007" narrower and that bullet has a B.C. of around .740.

Drop him an e-mail at:

[email protected]

I am taling with Richard about a 160 gr version for the 6.5mm Allen Mag but to be honest, a 169.5 gr in the 6.5mm would be very impressive, will be using 1-8 twists anyway so this would be a hell of an extreme range bullet. Would imagine the B.C. would be around .800 judging from some of his other ULD bullets.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.