Need help finding a specialty sling!

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
This year one of my out-of-state hunts will be for mule deer in NE Wyoming when there probably will be snow on the ground. I may not be able to shoot prone so I am brushing up on my sitting-bipod shooting technique for a 700 yard shot at the monster mulie.

A few years ago on the internet I saw a sling made for sitting shots. It does not attach to the rifle. It had 2 loops for attaching around the legs at the knees. The main part of the sling's strapping wrapped around the upper back. The whole system ties the crossed legs and upper torso together for stability.

Anybody know where I can find the web site?

Len

I believe I saw one of those in a shop in San Francisco a bunch of years back (I was lost and trying desperately to get out of town)!!

I did about a dozen searches on the web with all the stuff I could think of and didn't find anything like you describe... I'll search a little more later.

Len-- I would strongly consider Mike Miller's Tactical Intervention Sling if you don't find the one you want. It has a cuff that goes around your arem and uses a Fastex buckle to attach to the sling when you get ready to sit. It is very stable, 1 MOA is possible with the correct technique.

Ok, here's my plan. I gave up on finding the special sling but I have a better idea.

Sit down in a crossed leg position. Take a strap or loop of rope and wrap it around your legs just below your knees and up under arms and around your back. (simpler than it sounds)

Take your spotting scope tripod, scope removed, and set the legs low enough so the tripod head reaches just under your right armpit. Place your sand sock on top of the tripod head. Now lean your weight against the tripod head slightly. Using a Harris bipod, place the toe of the stock on the leading edge of the tripod-supported sand sock. Use plenty of back-pressure on the stock.

This was my first group trying the method at 700 yards in a variable wind. I don't try to adjust for the wind after the first shot when evaluating loads or shooting positions...thus the wide horizontal spread. The top shot I called high. The other 9 shots went into 5 inches of vertical. I'll take that kind of sitting position accuracy any day...but I think I can do better with some practise of my new system.

standard.jpg

[ 07-26-2004: Message edited by: Len Backus ]

Awesome shooting Len, please post pics of the mule deer when you get back from hunting.
Wayne

Len

Sounds like a good idea. I have some Climb High Inc. 48" climbing sling(s) and tried the around the knees and around the torso technique...make a passable chair, very solid, very good idea and I'll test it in the field soon.

If you get a chance stop in to a climbing store and check out the climbing slings, they're about 3/4" tubular nylon webbing sewn into a loop, VERY tough. For your sling a 36" may work or make an extra loop at your knees.

Here's how I got into the seat position: place the loop on the ground, sit my buttocks into the center of the loop, (my feet stay outside the loop) and cross my ankles. Lift the loop up onto my back so it passes under my armpit. The front on the loop goes UNDER my knees and then is looped around my knees from the outside forward and toward the inside. The loop now make a path like this, from right armpit it passes on the inside of my right knee, around the front of the knee and passes under my right knee straight across to the underside of my left knee where it then loops to the front and around the knee coming on the inside of the knee to my left armpit then around my back to the right armpit. This seems to lock the knees outward so they don't flex and locks the back to the knees. It feels like I'm sitting in a chair.

Thanks Len!

P. S. That's a kinda small deer you're shooting.

Late note: I see Micheal Voight has found something like your original request.

[ 07-26-2004: Message edited by: Dave King ]

Len
I don't know if you have seen them yet ,but Stoney Point makes a thing called the Quadrapod that might be worth a look. Cabelas carries them but they might be more weight/bulk than you care to fool with.
Chris

[ 07-26-2004: Message edited by: winmagman ]

[ 07-26-2004: Message edited by: winmagman ]

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.