LR Picuda/22 PFI Rapid Reticle on Prairie Dogs

sscoyote

Went out couple days ago with my Magnum Research Picuda prairie dog shooting, and it was just a great day. Almost left the house without my soft-sided stadium seat, which would have been disastrous. This town had been worked over a lot last year (by me mostly), but the rancher said they're back again so I felt obliged to go out. Man what a great decision that was as the dogs were everywhere again. I set up at one spot and shot several out to 160ish yds., several 1st shots. I almost invariably shoot sitting in this modified stadium seat with a taller Harris bipod, and the Atlas monopod off the pistol grip braced by my knee, that's mostly used from prone, sitting on a small square sandbag as this allows me the fastest most portable accuracy system possible when switching between sitting and prone. Since the grass was high after shooting some I just sat and glassed for awhile and sure enough spotted many more out to 200ish milling about in the grass. One shot in particular stands out in my mind. The dog was at 200 yds. and I shot and hit it. Of course at that range the 22 doesn't have much energy left so he limps out toward his mound. I could barely see his tail, and shot quickly again and although I couldn't see the dog in the grass, I heard the meat report of bullet impacting flesh distinctly, even at that range. The 3-9X PFI 22 LR Rapid Reticle can't be touched by anything else for this kind of shooting, efficient as it is for fast reference and rereference in the field at constantly changing ranges. Probably netted 40% kills with many 1st shots even out to 200 yds. with this setup even in 10 mph winds yesterday. No pics but this one below shows my system:

My std. setup this pic is from last winter--

Once again the greatest 22 LR field reticle ever designed...-

Love this Armscor stuff, accurate enough and great terminal effect at the right price (usually)--

What kind of scope is that? I didn't catch it in your post. Thanks for sharing!

That's the older Pride Fowler Industries 3-9X 22 Long Rifle Rapid Reticle system. They now have a 3-12X but it doesn't have target turrets for shooting beyond the reticle limit ~ 22 MOA i think it is now.

Awesome thank you. I have a bushnell AR22 optic on my ruger 10/22. I wish I knew about this scope before I purchased the AR optic.

Yeah 300, it's a great system, especially the "200" yd. reference for adding clicks to. Trying to apply the windage stadia precisely, calcd.' from a ballistic programs printouts is so rewarding for the occasional 300ish yd. shot. I just love the challenge!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.