Long-Range Prairie Dog With 22 RF Handgun

sscoyote

Thought some might like to see the end result of a long-range prairie dog shoot I took my nephew on recently. Here it is copied from specialty pistols website--

Nephew Jaesun was on leave from USAF, and wanted to go shooting. So I got him a 1-day hunting license, and took him out to a local prairie dog town, that I'd scouted out previously for it's long-range potential. There was a hill about 300-yds. from the edge of the town that would allow for a nice shooting position for long-rangin'. Got setup with the Kidd-barreled Ruger Charger/Horus Predator rig. Zeroed for 100 yds. he started shooting at various distances. Before we left the vehicle I thought to bring a centerfire rig just in case we saw a predator, but we didn't. Sure enough at the 1st shot a coyote stands up and hung around for a few shots--dang it! We tried for some 400-600 yarders with no connections, and then we had one at 475 at 90 MOA UP, he starts shooting and the dog hung around for 5 or 6 shots without spooking. On the 5th or 6th shot he connected and the dog runs toward it's hole. It flops around a bit and then runs into it's hole--long gone I thought. After shooting a little more we walked around the town but I wanted to just check the hole the dog ran into. As we're approaching it I keep looking at it, and sure enough I start to see the head of the dog and I let out a whoop, and was totslly surprised to see the dead mature dog right in the top of it. Couldn't believe the dog didn't just dive into the depths of it lost forever, but it didn't--must've been destiny, especially since the bullet hit him in the lower back, and went all the way through. I guess it hit an artery or something as it penciled through, and there it lay--OOHHRRAAHH 475 I think sets the current record for the longest prairie dog shot with a 22 handgun...or so we think--don't google Guiness, I seriously doubt that category is there--

Here's the rig setup with a 20-25% Bulz-Eye Pro power booster, which helps a bit when the power is down to 8ish or so--

Wow 400 yards with a 22?! I don't believe you! :D good shooting! I wish I were there to see that awesome shot. I get excited when I connect at 400 yards with my .223, let alone a .22! That's an excellent rimfire you have there and tell your nephew thank you for his service. Thanks for sharing.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.