LR HUNTING Rifle - Optic Suggestion

rowen99

So I had a custom .300 Norma mag spun up for me by SMR to do some hunting with ... wanted to get some suggestions on an optic to run on top to keep the weight down. The rifle currently weighs 11.2 lbs bare - which aint exactly light...but I currently have a vortex gen ii on there and a 3lb optic is unnecessary weight to add.

I have an NXS and Razor Gen I on my reloading bench... but wanted to see if anyone was running a March or Kahles ... and if that could be a potential option... i haven't looked up weights for these... but throwing it out there.

lancetkenyon

I am running the newest "gen III" K624i Kahles w. the SKMR reticle. Simply amazing optic. And about 33.5oz, almost a full pound lighter than the Vortex Razor Gen II @ 48.5 oz.

scf

I use a March 2.5-25x52. Lightweight and does everything I could ask for in a scope. I have 3 Nightforce scopes but don't want to pack them when something else is available. You might also want to consider the Z5 Swarovski (15.9 ounces) if you don't need more than 13 moa of vertical. I think there may be a way to get more vertical out of it.

wbyfireman

Zeiss Conquest HD 5-25, lighter weight, good glass, while still being able to "spin turrets". Just a suggestion

Outlaw6.0

Rowen,

I've had the chance to play with a March, in my humblest opinion, as a lightweight yet still usable scope (dialing ect) they are the cat's ***. The warranty sounds a little wonky, I'm not super happy about that but the scope itself is very nice.

You didn't mention what magnification range you need/want which will play into how high the weight goes.

t

rowen99

Outlaw -

Got my attention - and anytime someone says "cats ***" - I smile.

As far as magnification - looking for top end somewhere from 18x - 25x. 25x probably overkill.

Do you know what these run and where the best place to get them from is?

thx bud

Garycrow

At 11.2 lbs. I'd forget trying to save weight, that boat's done sailed. I'd put the best optics I could on the beast and not worry about weight because a pound either way isn't going to be noticable. I'd build another rifle for hunting because I wouldn't tote that thing in the woods.

Varberger757

Personally, I do prefer Mil - Dots or similar, because I can handle them faster while hunting. Dialing takes too much time IMO. That's the reason for me to go for something like a Zeiss V8 with its Rapid - Z 600, Steiner or Meopta scopes.
BTW, I do like Leupolds (VX-6) as well.

Primary

LRH Assistant
Here are some related products that LRH members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to LRH’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to LRH discussions about these products.

Recent Posts