LR HUNTING Rifle - Optic Suggestion

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by rowen99, Apr 22, 2015.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. rowen99

rowen99 Well-Known Member

So I had a custom .300 Norma mag spun up for me by SMR to do some hunting with ... wanted to get some suggestions on an optic to run on top to keep the weight down. The rifle currently weighs 11.2 lbs bare - which aint exactly light...but I currently have a vortex gen ii on there and a 3lb optic is unnecessary weight to add.

I have an NXS and Razor Gen I on my reloading bench... but wanted to see if anyone was running a March or Kahles ... and if that could be a potential option... i haven't looked up weights for these... but throwing it out there.

2. lancetkenyon

lancetkenyon Well-Known Member

I am running the newest "gen III" K624i Kahles w. the SKMR reticle. Simply amazing optic. And about 33.5oz, almost a full pound lighter than the Vortex Razor Gen II @ 48.5 oz.

3. sp6x6

sp6x6 Well-Known Member

I have a March 3-24x52 and it is clear and 23 oz. rides on my 338 NM

4. scf

scf Well-Known Member

I use a March 2.5-25x52. Lightweight and does everything I could ask for in a scope. I have 3 Nightforce scopes but don't want to pack them when something else is available. You might also want to consider the Z5 Swarovski (15.9 ounces) if you don't need more than 13 moa of vertical. I think there may be a way to get more vertical out of it.

5. wbyfireman

wbyfireman Well-Known Member

Zeiss Conquest HD 5-25, lighter weight, good glass, while still being able to "spin turrets". Just a suggestion

6. Rick Richard

Rick Richard Well-Known Member

Zeiss Conquest HD5 or Swaro.

7. Outlaw6.0

Outlaw6.0 Well-Known Member

Rowen,

I've had the chance to play with a March, in my humblest opinion, as a lightweight yet still usable scope (dialing ect) they are the cat's *Rule 4 Violation*. The warranty sounds a little wonky, I'm not super happy about that but the scope itself is very nice.

You didn't mention what magnification range you need/want which will play into how high the weight goes.

t

8. rowen99

rowen99 Well-Known Member

Outlaw -

Got my attention - and anytime someone says "cats *Rule 4 Violation*" - I smile.

As far as magnification - looking for top end somewhere from 18x - 25x. 25x probably overkill.

Do you know what these run and where the best place to get them from is?

thx bud

9. Outlaw6.0

Outlaw6.0 Well-Known Member

10. Garycrow

Garycrow Well-Known Member

At 11.2 lbs. I'd forget trying to save weight, that boat's done sailed. I'd put the best optics I could on the beast and not worry about weight because a pound either way isn't going to be noticable. I'd build another rifle for hunting because I wouldn't tote that thing in the woods.

11. Varberger757

Varberger757 Well-Known Member

Personally, I do prefer Mil - Dots or similar, because I can handle them faster while hunting. Dialing takes too much time IMO. That's the reason for me to go for something like a Zeiss V8 with its Rapid - Z 600, Steiner or Meopta scopes.
    BTW, I do like Leupolds (VX-6) as well.