Lowest velocity the Berger Hunting VLD expands?

JTPinTX

I am testing the Berger 6.5/130 VLD Hunting bullet in my 6.5 Creedmoor. It is shooting good for me and I may end up using it this fall for my Whitetail deer bullet. At a 2850 FPS muzzle velocity out of my 22" barrel it shows to still make 1000 FPE at 750 yards, with a remaining velocity of 1860 fps. Will it still expand good at this speed?

130g hunting VLD? Yes it will down to the neighborhood of 1,800. If the impact velocity is less target the shoulder. If the impact velocity is greater than 1,500 it will expand to about 0.625" and leave about a 3/4" exit hole. It will shed around 30 grains of material, blow bone fragments through the vitals and generally do the trick with a very short tracking job, if any. I think most of the wounding is due to tumbling. When I didn't target the shoulder bone, I've never been able to recover the bullet (other than in a wet paper trap after 22" of penetration) and the exit wound isn't much more than 3/8" to 1/2".
If the impact velocity is much below 1,500 they tend to pencil through even if you hit bone and you have a long day of tracking ahead of you.

Thanks for the answers guys, I do appreciate it. I think though, after further testing of both the 130 VLD and the 143 ELD-X in a side by side shootout, I am going to go with the 143 ELD-X this year.

Thanks for the answers guys, I do appreciate it. I think though, after further testing of both the 130 VLD and the 143 ELD-X in a side by side shootout, I am going to go with the 143 ELD-X this year.

What did you come up with shooting the end? I am looking at them over Berger in my 338

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.