Berger minimum energy/velocity to expand?

Bigcat_hunter

Do to the powder shortage I am running H50BMG in my 300 RUM pushing berger 210 vld's 2750 fps. I need to know what velocity or energy these bullets will reliable expand at.

At 1000 yards I have 1246 ft-lbs of energy which I feel is just about maximum to kill an elk. I have killed elk at this level of energy with standard partition bullets. Never killed anything with a VLD though. I have done a search and got mixed opinions on what they will reliably expand on game at. Some say 1600 fps, some say 1800 fps. Does anyone here have some first hand experience with this bullet and performance on game?

No experience with that particular bullet weight and cal……but

The 338- 300 grain offering starting out 15 FPS slower than yours does just fine at velocities less than 1600 maybe even as low as 1400.

These numbers come from experiments at range in water logged special peat moss. Bergers expanded better at lower velocities than any other bullet I tested.

If I were you I wouldn't be concerned. Just place the shot well.

Thanks for the reply. That makes me feel better. I don't want to pass up a shot at a longer distance if I don't have to.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.