Low recoil deer caliber

As you are posting this on a long range hunting site, I assume you will have him shooting at some distance as soon as he is ready. If you reload I would look at the range of bullet weights available in different calibers. Personally, I think the 25 is ideal. You can practice with 85 grain varmint bullets. Hunt with 100 grain partitions or 110 grain accubonds. And eventually move up to 130 grain plus High BC Bullets for shooting further out when he can handle the recoil.

I would build a lightweight chassis bolt action rifle. You can add weight to moderate recoil for practice and once he is not afraid of the rifle and handles it well you can remove the weight so it's easy for him to carry when hunting.

This is the buy once cry once solution that gives you the flexibility to have a great rifle that will grow as he does. The other option is to buy a cheap 6 mm something, have him shoot it for a couple years, and then go looking for a different rifle when he wants something bigger. And I think we all know our kids will want more gun eventually if there anything like us.

Is this going to be a gun to be used for many years or will it be replaced when your child gets bigger

If it will only be used a few years probably 6mm class using light mono metal bullets

If it will be used for many years then 6.5 creed with light bullets like hammer 80 gr hht

Make sure gun fits very well and get best recoil pad you can buy. A strap on shoulder protecter helps too

I think Reloading manuals talk about reduced loads using H4895 powder

No extended time practice sessions. Just a few shots each time

Plus best hearing protection available. A loud gun always kicks harder

I am 70 yrs old and a large person. Still use a 257 rob with 95 gr mono bullets for everything smaller than elk

I'm tossing the idea of getting my son a riffle for Christmas. he will be 9 in march. He has been shooting 22 for several years now and is doing really well with it. So I'm thinking of getting him a deer riffle that he Can practice with until He is of age to hunt. What are some options for low recoil deer calibres. Thanks for your input
My vote would be a 6mm creedmoor running 85 grain barnes bullets with brake

I'm tossing the idea of getting my son a riffle for Christmas. he will be 9 in march. He has been shooting 22 for several years now and is doing really well with it. So I'm thinking of getting him a deer riffle that he Can practice with until He is of age to hunt. What are some options for low recoil deer calibres. Thanks for your input
I read an article on American Hunter dot org this past week and they addressed this exact issue. First on their list was the 7mm.08 and in the small print said that it was somewhat equal to the 7X57 that has been around since 1893. I personally use the 7X57 and extremely successful with it. This said, I built my daughter a small size rifle chambered in 6.5X55 Swedish which also works well. I think that Savage has a youth, smaller size, rifle and at this time I know of NO issues with this rifle.

One of the lowest recoil rifles around is the 6.5x55 Swede. It has less recoil than the .223. The only hang up is the lack of ammunition. But, if you reload tuning it for accuracy is a breeze. In addition the Swede can be used to hunt almost every game animal known to man with the right bullet. Google it.

The Savage 110 Tactical in 6mmARC is $600, has:
1) Accustock
a) aluminum bedded for accuacy (like glass bedding a stock)
b) floated barrel for accuracy
c) fluted bull barrel for accuracy and weight reduction

2) Accufit stock, adjustable stock for length and height so it will fit him properly and not develop bad shooting habits - and it will grow with him

3) Accutrigger, "tactical trigger" that's lighter than normal savage triggers and easily adjustible (Savage has 3 trigger styles)

4) suppressor compatible

5) removable AICS style magazine for safe and quick unloading for inexperienced shooter and dad's observations that it's unloaded

6) 20 MOA rail

7) all rifles are test fired at the factory for accuracy

8) the 6mmARC (.243) would be a great 1st cartridge for a 9yr old. It has less recoil than a .243Win, 6.5CM, 7-08, or 308Win and is still a 1000+yd cartridge and good for deer size hunting. It was designed for accuracy and heavy for caliber long range shooting. My 6mmARC shot a 0.5 inch 10-shot group at 100 yds right out of the box using Hornady 108gr ELD-M ammo. I've owned many different cartridge sizes from .22 to .458WinMag and I think the 6mmARC would be a great child's cartridge.

Last edited:
I m all in on the 6.5 credmoor.

If you're a reloader (which you probably are or you wouldn't be on this site) get the kid a light-weight .308 or a 30/06 (my preference, because there's more room for fingers in the magazine) and make a bucket of low recoil ammo with 110 "plinkers" (M1 carbine bullets, very cheap) that hit in the same place as factory ammo at 100 yards. Use factory just to test zero before hunting and for hunting. Get him a good gun (with a good trigger and a good scope) because he will use it his whole lifetime and every time he looks at it he'll think of you.

I would vote for the 6.5 Creedmoor, light on the recoil, that is what my daughter uses, took the same approach with her and first got her a 20 gauge for birds in youth stock, then removed some spacers on the HMR on the 6.5, she is now 15 and put the spacers back in and a full size stock on the 20 gauge. Use either the federal 140 grn fusion or the ELDx 143grn Hornady ammunition for deer. Have fun, and be safe. This year was going to see if the 7mm PRC will work for her.

I shot a buck last year with a 6" 300 blk with very little recoil and those year a monster buck with a suppressed Henry 357 mag with zero recoil. Both would be limited to a 100 to 150 y shot. Next would be a 6.5 grendel with hammer bullets. Very light recoil and can reach out there...