Low ES 270 WSM load?

Engineering101

I'm doing some load development for a new rig. I thought it might be nice to start with the perfect load if you have one. The rifle is a Savage Model 12 VLP in 270 WSM (26" varmit contour barrel). I intend to use this rifle for big game up to mule deer and the occasional black bear. Is there anyone with a pet load they are willing to share? Thanks.

I've worn more than one 270 WSM barrel out with Retumbo, my first WSM was the same gun and I ran 140 Accubonds 3350 fps with 71 gr.

Mine goes well with AR2217 which is sold as H1000 in the States. Im loading 70.5gr behind the Nosler Long Range Accubond 150gr. In my shortened and suppressed 21" barrel this does 3045fps.

AA3100 63.1 grains under a 140 Berger VLD w/win mag primer. Not a hotrod load but still lights out. Pic of 4 rnd groups @100. Numerous similar groups w/ES of ~15 out of factory tikka t3 stainless. ~3070fps

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 146
BigSwede

That group looks like someone stuck a pencil through the target. Wow! I may have to get me some AA3100.

What is your barrel length and how far do you jump those Bergers?

Great group and low ES. Thanks.

I began load development at barely fitting in the tikka plastic magazine length because this was going to be a hunting rifle with hopes it would have acceptable accuracy. I have not measured the jump. My buddy has same rifle and same load shoots his in the 2's and 3's. Factory tikka t3 lite barrels on both. 1st and second pic were 4 shots. This pic is just 3 @100 from sand bags. The load is magic in these rifles.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 148
69 gr. Retumbo behind a Berger 140 gr. VLD going 3100 fps with ES of 17 is my go to load. Shooting a semi custom Rem. 700. Will shoot bug holes at 100 yrds and this group at 200 yrds.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 128
Magpro can make for some nasty 270WSM loads also. I have been very impressed with velocity and accuracy I am able to get with it on almost any bullet i have tried. My goto hunting load is 75.0 gr. Magpro, Norma brass, WLRM primer, 130gr Barnes TSX, This combo in my rifle makes for an honest 3500FPS, (checked by three Chronos, 2 beta Chonys 1 magneto speed. The rifle is a Browning M-1000 eclipse 26" barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.