Looking for some help. Need 280 AI loading' of experience

Brianc74

I have a 280 AI built by Score High Gunsmithing. The barre is a Brux 1-9 twist, 4 groove, 26" long. The chamber is a sammi 280AI setup for Nosler brass. The throat is setup very long for 175 grain bullets or more. Looking for load data or experience with Berger bullets, Nosler LR bullets, Sierra game kings, or Hornady bullets.

Thanks for the hep guy's

Brian

Funny thing, just got my .280 Rem build back from Charlie at ScoreHigh. 26" #3 Bartlein, 9 twist, 5R throated for 162 Amax. Now the new ELD-X comes along. Haven't received mine yet, so not positive about length, but they should work. I have 16# IMR 7977 I bought for 7mag that I will try in 280 Rem also. Some are using it in 280 AI w/ heavier bullets.

Not sure if it will help you or not. Running a 25" Bartlein 1:9 original ackley chamber, shooting a 168 berger vld. 60.0 grains of H4831SC, WLR primer, both Norma and Hornady 280 brass. Getting 3040 fps.

I just got my 280ai barrel, so loading for this is bran new to me. I'm going with 168 grn Berger VLD Hunting. I'm going to try RL 26, and I think I should be ably to hit around 2950 fps (24" barrel) keeping below 65k psi

The 180 Bergers look pretty interesting as well, and I think you'll want to use a fairly slow powder. I'm interested to know what kind of velocity you'd be able to push this safely at. I'm wondering if the gain in B.C. would be enough of a trade-off for the loss in speed. You'll never know until you do some testing. :)

For 168 grain and above bullet weights be worth trying RL26, getting good results with it. It has shot better across the spectrum with Fed 215 primers than with the 210. Not so with other powders but with the RL26.....

For 168 grain and above bullet weights be worth trying RL26, getting good results with it. It has shot better across the spectrum with Fed 215 primers than with the 210. Not so with other powders but with the RL26.....

I saw similar results with H4831SC in terms of mag vs standard large rifle primers...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.