.280 loading help

jwcrabb

Hey guys, I'm looking for help in working up a load for a new 280 I picked up. I'm going to use it for Deer and hogs out to 500 yds. I would like to use 140 grn bullets, either the Nosler ballistic tips or Hornady Interlock SST. Anybody have a pet load? Thanks, Jack

I have a load I will share with you, but it's at home. But I'll post it for you.

Here is a 5 shot group at 100 yds:

280target1.jpg

I am using the 140 Nosler BT's in and been very happy with the caliber and load. Its the wife's gun, I built it on a Burno action and a Midway barrel stock combo deal a few years ago.

One thing I need to mention is bullet depth seating on this loading. Because of the mag well, I had to seat the bullet a lot deeper than normal.

Anyway I'll post it up when I get home.

In my limited experiance reloader 19 and 140 NBT or accubonds are about like peas and carrots in a 24 inch barreled .280 not sure of my exact load but it is somewhere around max listed in noslers last manual.

jwcrabb,

Welcome to the forum.

Try this load in your 280 Rem.
140 gr BT or PT
57.0 grs RL19
R-P case
Federal GM210M primer

Shoots well under MOA in 2 different M700's.

JD338

For deer only I think the 140BTs are fine, but if pigs are also on the menu I'd go with 150BTs. The're tougher IMHO. If it is only pigs I use the 150 Partition. capt david

Hey Guys, just got home from the lease. We can kill does and spikes until the 20th at Llano. Got a nice doe and a long horn spike that needed to go. This year I kinda did the opposite of the long range thing. I took two bucks, a doe, and two hogs with my M1 Garand match rifle in 30-06. The longest shot was about 130 yds, but not bad for those iron sights. Thanks for the replys. CaptC, who do you lease from? Sounds like you're hunting right down the road from me. Thanks for the load data, I think i'll start with the 140 BT at around 3100, if I can get it. I'll be shooting it out of a Thompson Center Encore with 28" barrel. Thanks...

CaptC, I know where the place is. I used to do alot of fishing down around that area. I have access to a big piece of land down that way. Formosa Plastics has about 22,000 acres off of 172 on the north side of 35. I hog hunt there sometime to help out the farmers.

In my limited experiance reloader 19 and 140 NBT or accubonds are about like peas and carrots in a 24 inch barreled .280 not sure of my exact load but it is somewhere around max listed in noslers last manual.

Of the 5-6 powders tested during load developement for my Ruger M77 .280 RE19 gave the highest velocity with 140gn Accubonds.

Like many here I use 57gns of RE19 with 140gn pills. It shoots like hell and kills like lightning.

Although not BT's, I shoot the 140gr SGK over 57grains of RL19. It has given me the best results so far. That could all change because I think I will be getting it rebarreled next year in a .280 AI!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.