280 AI help

rharfo

Need some help guys:
1 - I have some fired 280 rem brass. Can I use my Redding ackley dies to reload since I don't have standard 280 dies? Then shoot in my ackley for fire form.

2 - I have fired ackley casings some resized and primed some just resized. These were shot in a gun I no longer own. The casings as they are now will not allow the bolt to close on either of my ackley's. Do I need to trim? Or what?

Thanks in advance!

rhfro,

You should be able to neck size the .280 rem cases for fire-forming using the Ackley dies. One thing that you might want to do is back them off about 1/2 of a turn to preserve the neck/shoulder juncture so that the case will headspace properly. The die is designed to resize a Ackley case and the fire-formed cases neck/shoulder juncture is slightly set back compared to the Remington case.

The reason that the brass may not fit the chamber is that the chamber dimensions of the two rifles are not the same. The .280 AI is one of the few Ackley cartridges that has a couple of variations. I know that the Nosler version is slightly different others I've seen, so maybe a chamber casting maybe in order, however If you trim to length and size to bump the shoulder using the Redding dies, they may fit. You just have to try it.

I use Redding dies for my .243 AI and my .30-06AI. I had to settle for RCBS for my 6.5-06AI but all work well.

Hope this helps,

Dan

Shouldn't be as problem if you are careful. The run out will be higher and the case will not be completely supported except in the neck, therefore accuracy may suffer, but these loads are for fire forming any way.....Right?

Dan

Exactly , I would like to use some imr 4350 since I had to buy 8 lbs to get some. Just hate to see these 280 casing sitting in a box. I just finished the neck size and cleaning. Casings look good.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.