looking for some advice on a .308 rifle

berg1985

Hey guys I'm currently looking to buy a .308, something with a heavy barrel not worried bout a fancy stock as I plan to put an xlr chassis under whatever info I get. I plan to use as a target rifle and maybe shoot some wolves or coyotes. I had my eye on a Remington tacticle 308 with 20" barrel but was curious what range that rifle would be good up to for yds. I Appreciate any help I can get cheers

The stocks are not always the main determining factor for a rifle's price, although it does play a good sized part.

I would look for a Remington 700 5R Milspec 24" .308, and then sell the new HS Precision stock for $250-300 in the classifieds, and use that money towards your chassis. You will be starting off with a more refined weapon than just the standard SPS Tactical, you were looking into.

Remington must have just made their yearly run of them, because back in Dec nobody had any in stock. They only make 1 seasonal run, and they aren't a catalogued item, so you can't special order one from Remington. You kind of have to get it when you find one at a shop, or have your shop owner check his distributors to see if they have any in stock that he can order it in for you.

REM 700 SS 308 24 5R MILSPEC $1,071.00 SHIPS FREE

http://www.impactguns.com/remington-700-milspec-308-ss-24in-5-r-barrel-9663-047700296630.aspx

Hey thanks allot for info I'm sold on a remmington rifle just not sure all what's out there I did not know of this one. Do u know if they make that in a straight heavy barrel in black I appreciate the stainless option but I'm looking for all black and I plan to paint whole gun, I also take good care of my rifles so I don't need the stainless option.

Hey thanks allot for info I'm sold on a remmington rifle just not sure all what's out there I did not know of this one. Do u know if they make that in a straight heavy barrel in black I appreciate the stainless option but I'm looking for all black and I plan to paint whole gun, I also take good care of my rifles so I don't need the stainless option.

No, they only offer the 5R Milspecs in stainless. You can always have it Cerakoted for a couple hundred bucks and that will last a long time.

Stainless is not just for bad weather conditions of not taking are of your gun. Stainless steel barrels hold several other properties that make them more appealing than regular chrome moly barrels. One big one is the rust inhibiting factor. Stainless steel barrels last longer because they are less susceptible to throat erosion than a CM barrel. Also, stainless steel barrels handle heat better.

First off, the XLR chassis is awesome! I have a Remington LTR in .308; it has a 20" heavy fluted barrel. I am loading a 208 Amax in it and it is a great 1000 yard load. Using reloader 17 really made that gun come alive with that bullet. I am a big fan of the Savage rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.